Will this carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I did a slightly modified version of a DFH 90 minute clone, but I underestimated my efficiency and the beer comes in around 10% alcohol....which is totally fine by me, haha.

My question is; I am set to bottle this Tuesday, have I hit the maximum alcohol tolerance of the White Labs 007 yeast? Do I need to pitch a champagne yeast at bottling, or will this beer carb up just fine? Thanks!

It wouldn't hurt to pitch some champagne yeast. Just realize that this might take a month or even two to carbonate.

Disclaimer: I'm a new brewer, but I like to participate in these.

Here's my thoughts:
What percent attenuation did you get? If you got between %70-%80 the yeast finished on it's own and not because of alcohol percentage, which I think is what happened. If this is what happened the remaining yeast should be able to carbonate your beer without champagne yeast. Just will take a little more time.

I definitely got towards the upper end of the attenuation spectrum for this yeast. I will still probably pitch a pack of champagne yeast, just to be sure. Are there possible negatives to pitching champagne yeast at bottling?

I definitely got towards the upper end of the attenuation spectrum for this yeast. I will still probably pitch a pack of champagne yeast, just to be sure. Are there possible negatives to pitching champagne yeast at bottling?

Yes, you will end up with a ton of yeast in your bottles. If you're going to throw some champagne yeast in there, you need just a very small amount.

Back