No beer for another 10 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
My wife and I are doing Atkins Induction, so no beer. I'm drinking rum, in small amounts. We only have 15-20 lbs each to drop, although my real goal is to get the 34" pants to the loose (at least not tight) stage.

I have learned to make a very tasty bread that's very low carbs. A little heavy and hard to work, so I'm making more adjustments. Trying to make a good burger bun. Most of the low carb recipes are basically omelets, not what I'm looking for. Tried a cauliflower/mozzarella pizza crust last night: NO.

PS Really don't like cauliflower, but it's okay with gravy or in stews, with gravy.
PPS Broccoli is fine with a pile of feta on it.

Wow, I am impressed with your commitment to this. So impressed I want to help you achieve your goal. Please send me your current stash of home brew to remove the temptation. I will not only keep it safe, I will also conduct regular quality checks to insure proper storage conditions. I am pleased to do this for no charge to help you achieve your goal. I only ask that you pay the shipping (no additional handling or service charges). I will return the balance of your home brew after you have achieved your goal.

I would not worry too much about the return shipping charges!

Good luck.

Fat chance B! Once the induction phase is done, I can drink beer. So, dream on.

Good luck! Mr. Z has been doing low carb for a few months, not strictly Atkins, just cut out grains, potatoes, etc. Lost about 30 lbs, cut 30 points off his cholesterol level. He'd probably lose quite a bit faster, but he likes the vodka drinks and hasn't given that up.

I've been curious as to how to calculate carb count of homebrew, and found these calculators. http://www.brewheads.com/calc.php

I started eating paleo last sunday and lost seven pounds over the week.

Haven't even STARTED working out yet.

Anyway, if you cut bread out completely (even the low carb stuff) it'll be a lot better for you anyway.

We've decided to ditch the induction diet. Neither of us has lost any weight after nine days, rather a surprise as we were both losing weight on a simple carbohydrate-reduction approach. I have confirmed that the sugar-alcohols in so many of Atkin's foods cause the same GI problems that HFCS causes. Not a problem for Kellie, so she can finish off the bars and such herself.

I can understand why so many people on the Atkin's diet reduced their food intake beyond the recommended levels. Yesterday I was about half-way through a cheese omelet and my body made it clear that I could either add a piece of toast to the meal or introduce bulimia to my diet. My energy levels have been extremely low and I've had trouble focusing on my work.

Kellie is of the opinion that since we don't have a lot to lose, our bodies were having trouble switching to a fat-dominated diet.

Your day 9 blues are pretty common in the "detox" phase on most of the carb-restriction diets. More than likely, the feeling you had while eating the eggs was the first sign of ketosis. It is hard to get excited about food (especially foods you are allowed) when you're in ketosis, but that is when the fat starts burning as energy.

I am currently doing paleo plus booze and cheese. I did a 21 day strict Atkins induction (just meat, eggs, and leaves), then moved to my "French Caveman" diet (add beer, wine, spirits, good cheese, a few nuts, and not much else). I'm not adding fruit until I hit my goal weight.

After 3 months, I'm pretty sure I could live this way forever. I feel much better. I miss pizza, though.

Kellie is of the opinion that since we don't have a lot to lose, our bodies were having trouble switching to a fat-dominated diet.

My experience with the Induction was much like yours- I was lethargic and ready to quit. (I had no weight to lose, just wanted to start a healthier life).

The first 30 days were terrible. I was lethargic and felt terrible. Bob has no issues, and if it wasn't for him I would have quit by week 2. But I stuck with it. On about day 31, I suddenly felt great. I started sleeping better, feeling better, with a ton of energy.

It's not scientific, but it made me feel that I was a carb addict and my body rebelled, just as if I was an alcoholic and suddenly quit drinking. It was very unpleasant, and that made me decide to never really fall "off the wagon" and go back to eating carbs routinely. I occasionally eat something, like a slice of pizza, when I"m out with friends but for the most part I eat less than 40 grams of carbs per day. I feel really great, and I'm so glad I did it.

I did end up losing about 10 pounds over the last year or two, but weight loss wasn't really my goal. I still have WAY more energy than when I ate a "healthy" diet of complex carbs and low fat. My cholersterol is low, my blood pressure is low, my fasting blood sugar is low/normal, and my "good" cholesterol is way up. It worked for me, so I would encourage you to stick with it if it's something you want to do. But it's sure not for everybody!

...for the most part I eat less than 40 grams of carbs per day....

What about drink? Or is your beer intake included in the 40g? That's what, 2-3 beers? Impressive.

Re: feeling better after a month - I've heard the same from many sources, that you have to stick with it as your body adjusts.
David - There are tons of low-carb / paleo forums & websites out there with great info.

What about drink? Or is your beer intake included in the 40g? That's what, 2-3 beers? Impressive.

Re: feeling better after a month - I've heard the same from many sources, that you have to stick with it as your body adjusts.
David - There are tons of low-carb / paleo forums & websites out there with great info.

Yes, beer is included (most of the time!). I eat really no grains at all, few starchy vegetables and very little fruit. I eat tons of veggies- leafy greens, broccoli, and stuff like that, along with lamb, venison, fish, and chicken. The chickens and lamb come from a neighbor while the fish and venison are our own.

I don't know about waiting a month. The Atkins books talk about adjusting in 2-3 days, I just kept feeling worse and worse.

On the bright side, I have lots of bacon in the freezer now.

Livin' the dream, Yooper. Seriously.

David, I like your bright side. I have no idea about time frames, just what friends have told me. In other words, my advice is baseless and unhelpful :)

Whenever I restart a phase one type program, I'm climbing the walls for 14-21 days.

At three days in, my blood sugar is more stable, but my brain doesn't get the message for quite a while after.

Latest posts

Back