Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4 15" hinged FB ready to ship. Free shipping will continue $85 to your door. Buy 2 and I will take another $5 off that price too. I can install a handle on them for $10 ea and drill a hole for a pick up tube for free.
Happy Brewing
Have a safe weekend!
Jay

Hey Jaybird I sent you a PM a few weeks back but never heard anything back about the false bottoms with the mesh on them.

Do you need actual measurements for the FB's or are they standard? My kegs are still at the welder...it's taking him forever to weld the couplers.

Eric
I will keep this offer open to you as we have spoke of your needs already. I would like to have the measurements so I can build the diptubes you want. If you dont need the diptubes the 15" FB will fit just about any keg that is 15.5 gallon.

Hey Jaybird I sent you a PM a few weeks back but never heard anything back about the false bottoms with the mesh on them.

Jeremiah
Sorry... I must have missed your PM.
I am not offering the screen version anymore as they are to labor intensive to put together. They took me well over 2 hours to build. 21+ stainless screws to drill and tap. I couldnt see offering them all the time. That was kinda a special thing.
Jay

Eric
I will keep this offer open to you as we have spoke of your needs already. I would like to have the measurements so I can build the diptubes you want. If you dont need the diptubes the 15" FB will fit just about any keg that is 15.5 gallon.

Cool, I'm in for one with a hole drilled for a 1/2" dip tube. I decided to make my own copper dip tubes...gotta save a few bucks where I can.

How do I order?

Just wanted to say, looks like an awesome product. When I finish my keggle conversions, I'll be in touch!
And I'm in shocked awe about seeing the mash tuns on here with what looks like water heater insulation wrap. (slapping forehead) What a great move!

P.S.---just scanning the posts, looking at photos---am I missing something? Are you no longer doing the 'screen' FBs? If not, any pics of what you're doing now?

Thanks.

I am not doing the screen 15" FB any longer. The material was way to labor intensive to install. I will offer them up again at some point but the $40 extra I was getting just killed me. I would go through 2-3 taps @ $4 ea and about 2 hours to install. I will, like I said offer them again at some point but only in a 10"-12" version for the boil kettle.
If you REALLY want one shoot me a PM I will see what I can do to make it happen for you.
Jay

I used a 15" hinged false bottom from Jaybird to cook a bushel of crabs this past weekend and it worked awesome!! I had a handle added to make lifting it out of the keggle easier. Jay, thanks again for the awesome customer service!

Hey Jay - I'm in the market for a 12" false bottom with pick up tube. When you have the time, shoot me a PM with what measurements you need and a price quote. Thanks.

Hey Jay,
I am looking for a couple custom hinged FBs for my new project. I need both FBs for standard American Sanke keggles (15.5 gal) and I need both to fit as snug as possible around the interior wall of the keg. I am having a few tabs welded within the interior wall of each keggle to support the false bottom above electric elements in both my MLT and BK and I want the gap between the keg wall and the FB as tight as possible.

Can you make a custom sizes (I think the 15" is just slightly too small)? The best measurement I can get is 15 5/16", though I would default to anyone with a truly accurate measurement. Anyhow, I guess I need to know if you could do this, and if so, how much?

Cheers,
ReverseMonk

Hey Jay,
I am looking for a couple custom hinged FBs for my new project. I need both FBs for standard American Sanke keggles (15.5 gal) and I need both to fit as snug as possible around the interior wall of the keg. I am having a few tabs welded within the interior wall of each keggle to support the false bottom above electric elements in both my MLT and BK and I want the gap between the keg wall and the FB as tight as possible.

Can you make a custom sizes (I think the 15" is just slightly too small)? The best measurement I can get is 15 5/16", though I would default to anyone with a truly accurate measurement. Anyhow, I guess I need to know if you could do this, and if so, how much?

Cheers,
ReverseMonk

You bet I can. If you get me an exact measurement I will shoot you a price.
PM me your address and I can get a quote to you.
Do you want a handle on them?
Cheers
Jay

Jay,

Just sent you a PM. Interested in a couple FB's (for converted kegs) and pickup tubes.

Can someone supply photos of the 'non-screen' versions now? (perhaps I'm confused--not surprising since I'm studying for tomorrow's BJCP exam)

Thanks.

I am going to be out of my shop till Friday 6-18-2010. So if you PM me and I dont respond you know why...
Thank you all for the continued support.
Cheers
Jay

Just received my FB yesterday. Quality is the highest I've seen! Can't wait to throw some grain on this sucker next weekend! I should be brewing with this for decades!

Just another feather in Jay's cap...

I just purchased 2 custom FBs from Jay for my next brewing project (an all electric 2 vessel 10 gallon system to be unveiled in the next 2-3 months). They are sized EXACTLY as ordered, heavy gauge stainless and stainless hinges, and received them in under two weeks. What else can I say? An awesome product. I'll be posting pics as soon as my new brewery is ready to go.

Thanks for the orders guys. I really do like building these for you all. Soooooo glad to see they arrive as planed. Now get to brewing!!!!! and send samples to the return address!!!!:D

Cheers

I've had a FB from jaybird for a while. A while back someone here listed a FB from another vendor which on paper is very similar. I've gotta say - the fit and finish of jays is better. Both are stainless, both are well made, they're made of the same gauge of stainless, both are for full size kegs and fold.

*Jays folds flat because the hinge is tack welded rather than bolted to the plates. This was likely a cost saving decision (shipping and hardware) but for storage it's great.
*There is no gap between plates on jays - on the other vendors there's a gap a bit wider than the perforations in the plates. I'm not worried that this will cause grain to pass, but it's annoying.
*The FB from jay just seems to have more thought put into the design and it's better executed.

16261d1278209845-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-jaybird-closeup.jpg

False bottom from Jaybird. Note that there is NO gap between plates.
4776864370_15b110bdde_b.jpg

16262d1278209878-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-climax-closeup.jpg

False bottom from climax homebrew. Note there is a sizable gap between plates.
4776230285_e243f1120d_b.jpg

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note the gap.
16264d1278209933-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-folded.jpg
4776863526_9212ab36dc_b.jpg

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note that jaybirds folds nice and flat.
4776863830_95218172b7_b.jpg

I've had a FB from jaybird for a while. A while back someone here listed a FB from another vendor which on paper is very similar. I've gotta say - the fit and finish of jays is better. Both are stainless, both are well made, they're made of the same gauge of stainless, both are for full size kegs and fold.

*Jays folds flat because the hinge is tack welded rather than bolted to the plates. This was likely a cost saving decision (shipping and hardware) but for storage it's great.
*There is no gap between plates on jays - on the other vendors there's a gap a bit wider than the perforations in the plates. I'm not worried that this will ca
*The FB from jay just seems to have more thought put into the design and it's better executed.

16261d1278209845-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-jaybird-closeup.jpg

False bottom from Jaybird. Note that there is NO gap between plates.

16262d1278209878-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-climax-closeup.jpg

False bottom from climax homebrew. Note there is a sizable gap between plates.

16263d1278209904-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-side-side.jpg

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note the gap.
16264d1278209933-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-folded.jpg

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note that jaybirds folds nice and flat.
Thanks for the write up.... All I see for the pictures are red X's...

Jay,

New guy to the forum and apparently you are the MAN when comes to FB's!!:) So shoot me a PM when you have a moment with the measurements and info you need from my keggles.

Thanks

Nick

Fixed the images. That's what I get for uploading them to the thread then trying to pretty things up (deleted from thread... thought they were still hosted since tags still made them show up even after a refresh...)

Fixed the images. That's what I get for uploading them to the thread then trying to pretty things up (deleted from thread... thought they were still hosted since tags still made them show up even after a refresh...)

You know, that is the first time I have seen their product. Heard a lot about them but never seen them. I do take a lot of time to ensure that each FB half is matched with its partner after sheering so all the holes line up and that there is a small amount of convex in the FB so they are preloaded. This helps keep them perfectly flat when you all dump 50#'s of grain on them. I also drill my holes off center just a touch so your diptubes will go in easy and fit perfectly every time. Its just the little things I do to create the best possible FB that I can for your years brewing.
Thanks for the post.
Cheers
Jay

Jay,

I just got a killer C-List deal and scored 4 Kegs that have already been converted and have all the goodies, brewmometer, sight gauge, 1/2 ball valves ect.. Currently I have in my MT a 1/2 copper pipe connected to a "boil T screen" I would like to replace it with one of your hinged 15" FB's with the stainless pick up tube that goes to the bottom. The keg is a standard Sanke so I guess just leave the pick up tube long and I will trim to fit and drill the tiny holes in the end. Let me know if there is anything else you need, also payment info.

Thanks Again

Nick

Jay,

I just got a killer C-List deal and scored 4 Kegs that have already been converted and have all the goodies, brewmometer, sight gauge, 1/2 ball valves ect.. Currently I have in my MT a 1/2 copper pipe connected to a "boil T screen" I would like to replace it with one of your hinged 15" FB's with the stainless pick up tube that goes to the bottom. The keg is a standard Sanke so I guess just leave the pick up tube long and I will trim to fit and drill the tiny holes in the end. Let me know if there is anything else you need, also payment info.

Thanks Again

Nick

PM sent brotha'
Cheers
Jay

Jay just made this custom hop stopping beast for my BK. Awesome work Jay, it fits like a glove! Thanks again.

4886723202_14f274bdac_b.jpg

4886119701_bf8b86fe34_b.jpg

Back