The gods don't want me to brew.. (within a budget)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimal

Reaction score
OK I'm really getting deterred at the lack of options Canadians have for brew equipment, or at least equipment with a reasonable price and quality.

I just went out looking for burners... 7 stores later I found a (1) burner at Rona. The biggest piece of crap burner I've seen. So I started searching the net for burners that could at least be delivered to me. I found 1 place that will ship Bayou Burners (Ebay) and the guy wants 110 for the SQ14. 125 for the SP10 and 130 for the SP50.. When the Bayou Classic site sells them for 50!

Now... Corny Kegs, the ONLY place I've found that has them sells them for $80 each! What a load of crap....

Sorry, Tomorrows brew day just became a cleaning the backyard day. And NO ONE likes to clean, especially without any homebrew to drink...

I can't remember who said it, but in the beginner forum, there is a post regarding canadian and GTA brewers. Somebody mentioned a company that lets you ship stuff to them in the falls, and pick it up for 5 bucks a box. Might be an option since it says you are from oakville, to ship the burner from the site and pick it up using that service.

I'm not sure what the prices are at Brew Time here in Hamilton on Cornys, but i know they have the whole setup.

What's the selection like in oakville? I've never checked out that way, since I usually order from www.homebrew-supplies.ca and pick it up when i visit my folks in Brampton. Might save me a trip.

Look into those drop boxes. I work for a global company and have many co-workers I work with on a daily basis who are based out of Canada. They found a place just over the border that you can order things online and ship to the location in the states just south of the border(or west if you are by Alaska) that charges them a reasonable handling fee. I have been "told" that this is significantly cheaper to do that and pay tariffs/taxes driving across the border than it is to have something shipped from the US to your door in Canada.

Though this is also assuming a drive across the border is a reasonable trip for you too.

I might have to bribe one of my friends to go across for me seeing as I don't have a passport. Anyone know the name of said company?

Wow! Stuff is expensive up north. I got all my stuff from a friend that used to brew years ago and lost interest.. Don't ask me why he lost interest, I love it.

I got two 250,000 btu burners, 8 Corny kegs, a glass carboy, and some odd's and ends for $120.00 I could almsot kiss the guy..

Instead of kissing him, I just pass him a 22 of my latest brew every once in awhile.

Based on a recommendation from another thread on here, I got the 'multi-purpose propane cooker' from canadian tire for $70. It holds a keggle and boils 6-7 gallons in around half an hour. It comes with a 30 qt pot (future HLT?) too. The only annoying thing is the 10 minute shut-off timer, but some duct tape does a decent job of holding it open. I've seen a half-decent looking burner at Home Hardware as well. I've also heard Princess Auto suggested for kegs, but that was a while back.

I've seen the burners at Canadian Tire, and Walmart but don't think either will hold a hold keggle full of water. Maybe I'm wrong? Plus they all come with a pot ill never use, cant buy just the burner which is retard.

The burners at Home Hardware, exact same I seen at Rona. I think it would also fall apart. And only 60k BTU? but it has potential you could stick some 1/2 or 3/8 steel in the tubes for more support up top (the 4 bars). Still dunno if it would hold the full keggle either.

I know excuse for everything, I'm just a little picky and dont like buying things twice.

Oh and that place (cbiusa.com) looks like a pretty decent solution to shipping!

The crappy tire burner does hold a keggle. The bottom rim of the keg goes on the outside of the supports, which then fit nicely against the bottom of the keg - it kind of gets wedged in place. I've only had about 7 gallons in the keg, but it seems solid. For me, the pot is a bonus 'cause I'll use it for spaghetti sauce and as an HLT when I go to all grain, but I might have thought twice about the set if I didn't want the pot.

Back