When to add Aroma Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a North Rim Wheat kit tonight and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! I have 2 noob questions:

1. The instructions say to add the bittering hops to a muslin bag is the bag actually necessary?

2. The kit also came with Argentine Cascade Aroma Hops but the instructions do not say when to add these hops... Do I put them in the same bag and boil them with the bittering hops?

Thank you!

I used to add my hops to a muslin bag, but after the hops expand when they get wet, the center of the hops may not be utilized because they may not come in contact with the beer; just throw them in without the bag. When you rack to secondary, they will settle out.

Add the aroma hops about a minute or so before you turn off the heat. Bittering hops are added when you start the boil; flavor hops are added about 15 minutes before shut-off (turning off the heat).

Are aroma hops considered finishing hops? Even though the kit came with these aroma hops, there is a big sticker on on the instructions that says "this kit does not use finishing hops"... I'm confused :) This is only my 2nd brew so I am still learning - please forgive my ignorance.

Would Argentine Cascade Aroma Hops be good for a "wheat" beer? This kit didn't even come with a target OG/FG... ugh.

1. NO bag is not nessesary BUT i recomend using it so you have less of the mess
too clean up!
2.all aroma hops go in at a last 5m of the boil!

Do you think it was a mistake that they said the kit does not include finishing hops, but included the aroma hops anyway? Would a wheat ale generally use this type of hops?

Heat kills hop aroma.I add mine when cooling.When its under 200 degrees i put them in

Back