Mead bottling prep.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse46

Reaction score
I am going to bottle my first mead soon and was hoping to get some advice on the steps for still and carbonated versions of bottling.

Sorry for such a broad and noob-y-ish question but I would rather get it right than go on assumptions.
I have brewed plenty of batches of beer and a few wines so I am not a total noob, I just don't want to ruin what I've got going.
Thanks

Bottling mead and beer are the same animal or at least the same species.

With Still meads, you just don't use priming sugar when you bottle. You also want to hit it with sulfite and sorbate to make sure fermentation doesn't renew. Still meads can be bottled in anything really. Swing tops, crown cap beer bottles, corked wine bottles, etc.
------
When carbonating meads, It's important to make sure you have the right bottles, or else your just producing high pressure glass grenades. Beer bottles and Champagne wine bottles will be your go to. Regular wine bottles will not hold pressure and will either blow the cork, making a big mess -OR- blow up, maybe hurt someone, and make a bigger mess. Champagne bottles use their fancy corks and cages. When carbonating, you don't want to hit it with stabilizers because you want the yeast to get at the priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back