How can I keep resolution as label is downsized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I am losing so much in detail and resolution as I downsize my images in Adobe Photoshop for my label. It looks great big and unaltered but when I shrink down to 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 for my label it is fuzzy. Is there a way to fix this?

8215-BRBCementPondFinishedLabel-Mergedcopy.jpg

Goto Image size, increase the resolution from say 72 to 300 DPI and then change the size in inches down to what you want, by putting more Dots Per Inch, you can make it print smaller while keeping the same number of dots. Figure out what your printer can handle and go from there.

first, make sure you do the size change in one move. Every time you drag a corner, the program renders the picture over again and will quickly make words and small details turn into a blurry mess. Also, make sure you are keeping the horizontal to verticle ratio the same(ie keep it in proportion). If you're stretching or shrinking one dimension more than the other, you'll definitely have clarity problems.

The second option is don't use photoshop to shrink the pic. Use a program like printshop and import the pic at full resolution after you have set up or loaded the template. That way the pic will only be redrawn one time.

why are you making it bigger than it needs to be. if you label is 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 make your label that size and then have it at atleast 300 dpi if you want to upsize it you will need more dpi and then going down you will never have an issue
when you scale down make sure your check boxes in image size are not scaling the res down to.

What is the current size you're working with? If you're at 72dpi and smaller than 15" x 20" then you need to start over, because it will be less than 300dpi at your correct dimensions and will look blurry.

As stated above, when creating the new document, make it 300 dpi and the size in inches you want the label to be. Depending on the design, you might also want to add 1/8" - 1/4" all around the label as a bleed.

why would you shrink it down after you made the label anyways? you should work at the size you intend to print the label at to avoid problems and make sure its 300dpi.

He's shrinking it down because he didn't know about dpi. It's obviously set to 72dpi but at higher dimensions in pixels than his preferred size in inches at 72dpi.

3.75" x 4.75" @300dpi = 1125x1425

Those are the dimensions you need to print your label yourself, sharp at 300dpi. If you're going to a printer or have a printer at home that can do more than 300dpi, I recommend doubling the dimensions and dpi to 2250x2850 @600dpi which will provide a very, very high level of detail.

That is right. It was originally at 72 DPI and much bigger. Now that I know that is the problem, do I have to start all over or can I fix it and make it "unblurry?"

OP: Not really. The only way to do that is to have the label in vector form... i.e. adobe illustrator which is a much tougher program to use. Its what all professional designers use. If you really want to get into it though, there are some great tutorials on the web.

First of all, don't EVER do any downsizing to an original. Always save at native, then do a "save as" for your working copy.

When you want to shrink the "print size" of an image (as long as your horizontal and vertical proportions are what you want), go to image->image size and UNCHECK "resample" first. Then increase the DPI number to shrink the printed size until you get the size you want in inches. The program usually default opens images in 72dpi which is ideal for web graphics. Unchecking "resample" in the dialog box ensures that you don't lose any image data in the process. Save in a lossless format (.PSD) until you're forced into a compression format (JPG).

Mr. Mojo Rising said:
That is right. It was originally at 72 DPI and much bigger. Now that I know that is the problem, do I have to start all over or can I fix it and make it "unblurry?"

you can interpolate the image up which helps a little on the quality but it will never get back to the way it was at 300dpi.

And making the label at 600dpi will not do anything for the quality, there is a reason 300dpi is the common dpi for print work. 600 is just overkill and you wont see any difference in the printed piece. If you want to make it larger than your final output size though then you add more res like 600 or 800 etc. Making it at 600 and only producing it at label size will just make your computer and application your using go slower

Mr. Mojo Rising said:
That's why I asked what your dimensions are. Tell us how many pixels you're at right now, or how many inches you're at right now @72dpi. Or refer to my dimensions posted above stating the size in pixels you want it to be to have a 3.75" x 4.75" image @300dpi.

NitrouStang96 said:
That's why I asked what your dimensions are. Tell us how many pixels you're at right now, or how many inches you're at right now @72dpi. Or refer to my dimensions posted above stating the size in pixels you want it to be to have a 3.75" x 4.75" image @300dpi.

I was at 72 dpi with the qouted dimensions. I opened a new canvas at 300 dpi and at the label size. I then copied my label art over and increased the size, which must have caused it to resample because it looked perfect. I then just added my text. It took maybe an hour. It came out crystal clear. Thanks for the help everyone. It's for my mom's christmas present.

Excellent. For future reference, it will be even sharper when you start at those dimensions so that you don't have to increase the size - which will blur the details a little bit, depending on how much you increase it.

If you get that cool filter they use on CSI - you know, the "Enlarge and Enhance" Filter - you can take a dot and blow it up to the point where you can see shoeprints in the dirt.

Cheesefood said:
If you get that cool filter they use on CSI - you know, the "Enlarge and Enhance" Filter - you can take a dot and blow it up to the point where you can see shoeprints in the dirt.

hahaha that show is such a joke on some of the stuff they do on there. It is almost turning into a comedy

Back