Partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Hey All,
Quick (and probably stupid) question:

I've done a couple batches total, two extract and one extract with specialty grains. I think I'm pretty comfortable with these methods. I just got a new recipe which I assumed was similar to my last with the steeping grains. However, after reading through a ton of posts on here, I'm realizing that steeping grains should by crystals and/or caras. Is this correct? If so, is my new recipe (featuring flaked and roasted barley) actually a partial mash? It's not a huge deal if it is, as I've been wanting to step up my brewing to that level, I just don't want to mash steeping grains or vice versa.

The directions just say "follow extract steps" which is a little curious to me.

Flaked barley should be mashed with a Base malt like 2-row for conversion. Both contain a good deal of starch and should be mashed together.

Any other roasted, cara, chocolate malts, etc. with dark color that have already been converted, roasted, toasted, etc. are steeping grains.

FYI - You can mash steeping grains... but you don't steep mashing grains.

What is the complete recipe? Roasted barley has no diastatic power. The flaked barley is pre-gelatinized and is probably there for mouthfeel/body.

helibrewer said:
What is the complete recipe? Roasted barley has no diastatic power. The flaked barley is pre-gelatinized and is probably there for mouthfeel/body.

Guinness clone 5 gallons

3.3lbs light LME
1.5lbs dark DME
0.75lbs roasted barley
1.5lbs flaked barley

2oz EKG hops for 60min

Ale yeast

(I know mouthfeel wont be right for Guinness because I'm not using nitrogen and I don't have a cool tap like a bar would have - I'm mostly going for the taste, but I am going to add 4oz maltodextrine for a little more mouthfeel.)

My plan was to steep for like half an hour at 155 or so, but I'm wondering if I am going to have to mash for more like an hour. Also, like you said, if the barley has no diastatic power, will I need to add two row or does the malt extract help at all? I'm getting more confused...

helibrewer said:

"Roasted barley has no is static power." Does that mean it isn't good enough to convert the starches of the flaked barley into fermentable sugars?

"The flaked barley is pre-gelatinized..." I don't have any idea what that means. No fermentables to be gained?

So confused. Thought I was ready for partial mash, but I don't even know if this is a partial mash recipe. Obviously not ready...

Guinness clone 5 gallons

3.3lbs light LME
1.5lbs dark DME
0.75lbs roasted barley
1.5lbs flaked barley

2oz EKG hops for 60min

Ale yeast

(I know mouthfeel wont be right for Guinness because I'm not using nitrogen and I don't have a cool tap like a bar would have - I'm mostly going for the taste, but I am going to add 4oz maltodextrine for a little more mouthfeel.)

My plan was to steep for like half an hour at 155 or so, but I'm wondering if I am going to have to mash for more like an hour. Also, like you said, if the barley has no diastatic power, will I need to add two row or does the malt extract help at all? I'm getting more confused...

That's the Guinness extract w/grains recipe. Just steep the grains as normal. The roast and flaked barley won't self convert, but they can still be steeped to add character and feel to this recipe. It's how it was written.

Diastatic= the ability of a grain to break down starch into sugar. 2 row malted barley for example has enough diastatic power to break down not only its own starches but also additional starches from other grains in a mash.
Gelatanized= picture raw oats, add cold water you have wet raw oats, cook it and it makes a thick soup because cooking released the starches in the oats.Raw grains do not convert well since enzymes in the mash have a hard time getting to the starches inside the grains, cook the grains first and the starches are released making it easier to convert. Flaked grains use steam then pressure to flatten them, this releases the starches so pre-cooking is not needed.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
That's the Guinness extract w/grains recipe. Just steep the grains as normal. The roast and flaked barley won't self convert, but they can still be steeped to add character and feel to this recipe. It's how it was written.

You just made my day. Thanks.

And thanks to menedari for the clarification of terms.

Back