Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually starting to think WLP007 is a little too clean. Maybe the extra 'something' in the grain bill we're looking for are a little more esters. I'm not a ringwood fan, but it might be time for me to give it a try for this beer

You might be onto something. I detected a slight peppery taste drinking DF 90. Perhaps T-58 would be closer. Think I'll give the T-58 a try next time.

Trial and error is fine but would rather have a candle than stub my toe in the darkness. This might be helpful from our good supplier Wyeast.

"Commercial Examples: Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA, Rogue I2PA, Stone Ruination IPA, Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Moylan's Moylander Double IPA. Stock ales include examples such as Stone Arrogant Bastard and Mendocino Eye of the Hawk.

Wyeast Strains:
1056 - American Ale™
1084 - Irish Ale™
1272 - American Ale II™
1332 - Northwest Ale™
1728 - Scottish Ale™
1450 - Denny's Favorite 50
"

That's just generic info.

Stone without a doubt uses WLP007 (1099)
Russian River uses 1056
Three Floyd's uses an unknown English strain.

All Wyeast is saying there is: These are some good commercial examples of an Imperial IPA. Here are some yeast stains that will make a good IIPA.

I don't get any sort of "peppery" taste from 90 minute. That is what makes cloning so difficult, everyone's palate is different and may perceive something diffrently then the next person. I really enjoyed the beer with wlp007 so I will probably use the jar I washed from the last batch.

Ya, WLP007 is really close. I'm considering just using it at around 68* rather than 64* for a little more esters.

I don't get any sort of "peppery" taste from 90 minute. That is what makes cloning so difficult, everyone's palate is different and may perceive something diffrently then the next person. I really enjoyed the beer with wlp007 so I will probably use the jar I washed from the last batch.

Suggest tasting/sipping like wine before guzzling. :D I wasn't the only taster detecting the slight peppery taste.

Wow! Thanks for this recipe and all the advice given in the comments, folks. I brewed it on the day of the May eclipse, so I named it Summer Eclipse Imperial IPA. I followed the recipe from the original post for the most part, only increasing the base malts and TF malts for my gear, cooler mash tun. I left the hop schedule the same.

I kegged it last weekend and tonight I just did a side-by-side comparison with my last bottle of DFH 90-minute imperial IPA. It is spot on taste-wise. Mine is cloudier because I don't filter but the color is nearly identical as far as I can discern. Mine came out at 8% ABV as opposed to DFH's 9% but I'm thrilled with it. It's the first clone I've ever attempted. Definitely a keeper.

Mine is coming in around 10%, which is awesome, but I don't know if I've hit the upper limits of my yeast for carbonation. I have a pack of Cuvee Dry Wine Yeast that I could pitch some or all of at bottling, but is it necessary with WL007?

I hadn't really given much thought to this, but I was planning on re-using a jar of WLP007 that I washed from the last batch of this recipe I brewed. I brewed that batch around last christmas so it's been roughly 6 months. Obviously I was planning on making a big starter, but is 6 months too long to keep washed yeast? I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't take a chance and just buy a fresh vial. Any thoughts?

Think there are posts indicating 1 year old washed yeast being used. So as long as it's kept refrigerated then worth a try.

Very excited to try this... will be my next brew I piece together. For anyone who has tried the extract directions (post #19 of the first page) - have folks adjusted the hop quantities for a partial boil? Or maybe it's just time to get a wort chiller and a bigger kettle??? :)

I just brewed this beer. I read every post and came up with this recipe.

10# Marris Otter
1.25# Thomas Fawcette Amber
3# Golden Light DME

3oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior

1187 Ringwood Yeast. 2L starter

Yield: 5gal
OG: 1.090

I did thine same equivalents for the grain bill for my DFH 120 I followed scottland on. I had great results. Hops were distributed evenly every three mins throughout the boil.
I think my starter maybe a little small since I didn't anticipate such a high OG. I thought maybe 1.083-1.085. Any ways I think I might be fine though. I've never used this yeast either but have heard conversation that DFH claimed in the past this was one of the house yeasts. Don't know if it's true but I'm going to give it a shot.

Going to pitch at 60*F and bring it up to 64*F and after fermentation I will raise it up to 70*F for a few days. Rack to secondary and start the dry hop schedule.

Cheers.

Been brewing partial grain for a few years. This will be my first all grain attempt . . .looking forward to this.

Well 6 days into fermentation the gravity has dropped from 1.090 to 1.020. I tasted the sample and it's very very fruity. I'm hoping this mellows out and I really don't get the true flavor of the real 90min. Maybe it's too early since fermentation still isn't finished. The beer is already clearing up and no detection of diactyl. I'm still going to give it another week in the primary and rack to secondary. I will say though for the first few days my basement smelled like the real 90min. That bubbler really was shooting off rapidly. Semi-automatic bubbler! Lol
Cheers

007 yeast provides a very active fermentation as you have seen. Sounds like the beer is attenuating as expected and the fruitiness and sweetness will subside as the aging process proceeds. Another week at warm temps will help clean up these issues.
It's my experience that this beer will be a little sweet for a while but after a few weeks in the keg it drys out and starts to taste wonderful. Just kegged my second batch, can't wait to see how it turns out.
My first batch included a large hop charge at flame out which made a super IPA but walked all over the TF Amber malt. This time I passed on the flame out addition and went for more dry hops. Hopping for the TF Amber malt to come forward like the commercial product. This is a great beer to clone.

Just picked up the last ingredients from the local brew shop after getting the majority in the mail. I am kicking off a yeast starter today with the intent of brewing Sunday afternoon.

This will be my first all grain batch. . . quite excited.

Scott

TrubHead said:
Don't think the malt sweetness will fade much. Mostly hops will go first and rather quickly. Here's an article discussing beer aging.

http://www.sdbeergeeks.com/2012/01/will-it-age.html

I read the article given. It's informative and basic knowledge IMO. I'm not worried about the malt sweetness as I feel this beer is supposed to have a nice malty character. The fruity flavor was overwhelming and I kinda figured it will tone down a bit with age. My brew isn't sweet, just fruity. I will check for flavor once again when I rack. Thanks for the input with the article and the experience with the yeast.
Cheers

I have had the ingredients for this beer sitting around for months now. I think I am finally going to have time to brew this weekend. I picked up the yeast yesterday. Had to go with Wyeast 1187 Ringwood because they were out of WLP007. I'll report the results

I'm going to try this on Sunday as my first all grain. Without a stir plate it looks like I'll need a giant 3L starter! I'm thinking I'll have to do a step up, starting Friday night? This is all relatively new to me.

I went with the original recipe until I can try this for myself. Can I get some guidance on how to calculate my efficiency? This was my first AG, and I did a BIAB. I measured preboil gravity at 1.041 @ 170F, and again postboil at 1.089 @ 70F.

According to this calculator, I seem to have ended right about the right spot... does this mean I hit 70% efficiency? If so, do I thank the double milled grains or just dumb luck??

My first all grain was this recipe. I ended up hitting 72% efficiency and I was very happy. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I'll be stepping up my starter tomorrow. I want to make sure I pitch plenty of healthy yeast since I have heard that ringwood can be finicky.

Hey scottland, I thought I'd pass on some info. I'm headed to DFH's taphouse Sunday and went to see what was interesting on tap. I noticed in the description of DFH 60 minute that it is made with "Palisade and Simcoe". I suspect the scarcity of Amarillo forced them to change the recipe. I'd bet Warrior is still in it for bittering, but it might be nice to re-brew this with Warrior, Palisade and Simcoe. Just a thought.

Finally brewing this today. Supposed to be in the mid 90s today so it's gonna be a hot one! Luckily I have my fermentation fridge set up and ready to be used for the first time.

Brew day went pretty good. I forgot to update the Mash tun/grain temp in beersmith so my strike temp was too hot. Nothing a little cold water couldn't fix. Held steady at 151 for an hour. The only thing I wish I did was strain all the hops/break out while transferring to the fermenter. I seriously have a 4" layer of trub at the bottom of my carboy. Checked it this morning and the Ringwood has already started chugging away and the blow-off tube was full of foam. I scaled the recipe up slightly to 5.75 gal to compensate for trub loss.

I brewed this a few weeks back, it was my first all grain brew. It turned out fantastic!

I was wondering the amounts of water that other folks used for this recipe?

I did experience my first blow out....once that was under control it was business as usual.

I highly recommend this recipe, I will definitely be brewing this again.

I was wondering the amounts of water that other folks used for this recipe?

With my setup, I use 9 1/2 gallons for this recipe.

I took a gravity reading today (1 week). It appears to be finished at 1.017, a little lower then last time I made this batch :ban:. The combination of Ringwood yeast (huge 4 liter starter), 1.25lb amber malt and Marris Otter is a winner IMO. The malt nose is dead on, taste seems to be there although at only 1 week it's hard to tell for sure.

I'm giving the yeasties a few more days to clean up their mess and it's getting cold crashed. The Ringwood yeast really chewed through this one quickly but I have to say it was the strangest looking fermentation I have seen.

I just racked my first batch to secondary this weekend, it tasted pretty good. Looks like my gravity was at about 1.020, . I am very glad I used a blow-off tube, as I had a lot of krausen and the hops were splattered all over the walls inside the fermenter. I shouldn't have forgotten fermcap on this one!

The combination of Ringwood yeast (huge 4 liter starter), 1.25lb amber malt and Marris Otter is a winner IMO. The malt nose is dead on, taste seems to be there although at only 1 week it's hard to tell for sure.

I'm giving the yeasties a few more days to clean up their mess and it's getting cold crashed. The Ringwood yeast really chewed through this one quickly but I have to say it was the strangest looking fermentation I have seen.

I couldn't agree more. I also used the ringwood yeast. Weird fermentation and rapid. I dragged on bottling this beast till this past Sunday. My FG: 1.017. That puts me at 9.69%. That's a little higher than expected. The sample I tasted while bottling is pretty darn close to the original. Color, aroma and aftertaste is awesome. I have to admit, before the dry hopping I was skeptical of it being anywheres close to the clone. Now I'm fairly confident that it's a strong contender. I used MO & 1.25# of TF Amber. I will post a pic of the brew with a side by side view of the real DFH 90.

Cheers.

Pulled the first sample from the keg last night and its great! Went from grain to glass in a month with this one and it turned out awesome. I added some gelatin to the keg so I'll give it a few days before I try it again.

IMG_20120902_125856.jpg

Cheers!

So I finished up my first all grain this weekend and man that was alot of work, but fun. The only thing is that the recipe says 16.5lbs pils and 1.5 amber. That is a lot!!!! I couldn't close the top of my cooler tun without squeezing out some of my steeping water. Trial and error I guess..... I also I had to create a makeshift blowoff tube yesterday. Racking cane fits nicely in my airlock

image-1651599918.jpg

image-4228056636.jpg

So on another recipe I found online it said to cool to 34 degrees before bottling. So should i bottle it and let it carb in the fridge the whole time? It's been in the fridge for two days but I don't want it to screw up the flavor, it was dang tasty coming out of the secondary.Cheers

So on another recipe I found online it said to cool to 34 degrees before bottling. So should i bottle it and let it carb in the fridge the whole time? It's been in the fridge for two days but I don't want it to screw up the flavor, it was dang tasty coming out of the secondary.Cheers

I think that is just a cold crash to get stuff to drop out of suspension and clear up the beer a bit. I cold crash, and then if bottle conditioning, I rack to another vessel, add priming sugar, bottle, cap, and store at room temp for a few weeks before putting it in the refrigerator to chill to serving temp.

Back