Adding Blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flywheel

Reaction score
I just started a cider and need a little help.

Here's what i've done thusfar:

4gal 100% "natural" apple juice (only juice, nothing added, not filtered)
2 cans apple juice concentrate
32oz water + 1 lb wheat DME (I have found this adds a little body & head retention, which I like)
Wyeast 4766

Things are going nicely, but....

I'd like to add blueberry @ secondary (in 1 week), what's the best way to get good blueberry flavor? How many lbs? 3?

Also, I plan on adding one more can of concentrate and 1# of corn sugar at secondary to help keep the fermentation going as I know blueberry can be tricky and slow @ fermentation.

Thanks!

I just started a cider and need a little help.

Here's what i've done thusfar:

4gal 100% "natural" apple juice (only juice, nothing added, not filtered)
2 cans apple juice concentrate
32oz water + 1 lb wheat DME (I have found this adds a little body & head retention, which I like)
Wyeast 4766

Things are going nicely, but....

I'd like to add blueberry @ secondary (in 1 week), what's the best way to get good blueberry flavor? How many lbs? 3?

Also, I plan on adding one more can of concentrate and 1# of corn sugar at secondary to help keep the fermentation going as I know blueberry can be tricky and slow @ fermentation.

Thanks!

you probably want to add them in the primary

Everything I have read says that blueberries have a very subtle and mild flavour when fermented, and are recommended to be added in the secondary, not primary.

I agree with Machalel. I have added frozen fruit to my secondary and have all turned out nice. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. All have added a nice flavor, but since I've heard to introduce them when I start my secondary, I've actually never tried throwing them into the primary. From what I gather, it seems like the flavors may be more natural and pure by adding them later. I'm guessing because the yeast activity has calmed a bit come secondary time.

Everything I have read says that blueberries have a very subtle and mild flavour when fermented, and are recommended to be added in the secondary, not primary.

good to know, dont believe me, i have no experience with secondaries

Back