Rookie Mistake or super paranoia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
So last night, in preparation for my bottling this weekend, i started to clean my bottles. After reading this forum for the past 2 weeks solid, i decided to soak all my bottles in oxyclean (i have laundry detergent that has oxyclean in it so i chose that). I filled my bottling bucket (new and has never been sanitized anyways) with water ad added the detergent. I soaked the bottles and a few hours later the first batch cleaned right up. I put the now clean bottles in the dishwasher to get all the detergent off and soaked another batch. After all was said and done i was awfully proud of myself and then (as she always does) my girlfriend pointed out that i had used detergent in my bottling bucket. And she so graciously stated that anything that was bottled from that bucket she was not drinking. Now im not one to ever worry about something extra in any of my food or beverage but she is literally at the opposite end of that spectrum. I dont think anything will be left in the bucket once im done cleaning it with hot water and sanitizing it with StarSan. In fact im sure of it. This is the same girl who is refusing to drink the beer out of bottles i got from my parents because she doesnt know who drank out of them.

Someone please ease my frustration here and give me my much needed reassurance in the form of a "she is crazy, dont listen and enjoy the extra beer she will not be drinking!"

Clean out the bucket... you are fine. I usually rinse my bottles when I empty them, then before I bottle, I place them in my dish washer to clean and sterilize them. Never had a single infection... fermented beer is pretty darn resilient, it is not a happy place for things to grow.

Pol

It's going to be ok! Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse those bottles and bucket. And then just swear to never use detergent or soap near your brewing stuff ever again!

its02003 said:
And she so graciously stated that anything that was bottled from that bucket she was not drinking.

She is definately crazy. This just leaves more beer for you to drink. :mug:

Brew on! :rockin:

About the detergent...I use ordinary dish soap to clean my brewery equipment all the time (practically a heresy around here). Just make sure to rinse, rinse, and rinse it again before using.

So i thought... thanks to all who replied, i will now go and convince her that the RETURNABLE bottles i washed and rinsed and washed and rinsed and sanitized are OK to drink out of. That way i can brew my next batch and not have to listen to her complain the whole time because she didn't get to drink any of the last batch.

bigjohnmilford said:
you can always pour your beer in a glass and not drink out of the bottles anyway

You SHOULD always pour into a glass anyway...

Hey, I got a lot of my bottles from a dumpster....oxyclean and iodaphor and their fine.

EDIT: Dang, Joe beat me

FYI, running bottles in a dishwasher will heat sanitize, but next to no water actually gets inside the bottle to really rinse it out.

you mostly don't want detergents with dyes and added fragrances (Mountain Spring Breeze IPA anyone?)

you can buy straight Oxy-clean Free, which is 'free' of dyes and fragrances to use as a cleanser that rinses easily.

Use OxyClean Free by itself.. I picked mine up at Lowe's I think. I wouldn't use anything scented like detergent. I don't want Downy Fresh beer.

its02003 said:
This is the same girl who is refusing to drink the beer out of bottles i got from my parents because she doesnt know who drank out of them.

:rolleyes: You've gotta be sh!tting me. Nobody is that paranoid. Does she say the same when she goes out to eat? She can't eat off of the plates or drink out of the glasses because she doesn't know who drank out of them before? Does she not get the concept of "sanitized"? yeesh
:rolleyes:

its02003 said:
my girlfriend pointed out that i had used detergent in my bottling bucket. And she so graciously stated that anything that was bottled from that bucket she was not drinking. Now im not one to ever worry about something extra in any of my food or beverage but she is literally at the opposite end of that spectrum. I dont think anything will be left in the bucket once im done cleaning it with hot water and sanitizing it with StarSan. In fact im sure of it. This is the same girl who is refusing to drink the beer out of bottles i got from my parents because she doesnt know who drank out of them.

Someone please ease my frustration here and give me my much needed reassurance in the form of a "she is crazy, dont listen and enjoy the extra beer she will not be drinking!"

Does your girlfriend get out of her bubble much?

jake_gyllenhaal8.jpg

Back