Moonshiners on Discovery Channel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped watching after I found out it was fake, who wants to watch a guy drag a tank out in the woods and pour corn, water and sugar in it? The popcorn clips were awesome, that was a cool dude.

Because they show them distill it. No ferment = no alcohol

shouldn't they just cut away and use different mash? i'm not saying its real, i havent been watching. it just seems dumb that they wouldn't add yeast. or didn't show it.

they also show him shake some **** in a jar. it didn't look like water to me.

rycov said:
it just seems dumb that they wouldn't add yeast. or didn't show it.

You are failing to realize this part. If they show the yeast being added they can not legally show them distilling it. If they show the "distilling" part they can't show the yeast being added.

Without adding the yeast on film there is no way to tell what the final product is. This is a huge thing.

Think of it like this, if I were to show someone with weed breaking it up and smoking it, that person has a chance to have a bad run in with johnny law. Now if I take the same person and show them smoking a "joint" and no rolling of the joint, how do you know what is in it. For all you know its just tobacco. Get it now?

they also show him shake some **** in a jar. it didn't look like water to me.

of course they aren't going to have it look like just water.

You are failing to realize this part. If they show the yeast being added they can not legally show them distilling it. If they show the "distilling" part they can't show the yeast being added.

Without adding the yeast on film there is no way to tell what the final product is. This is a huge thing.

Think of it like this, if I were to show someone with weed breaking it up and smoking it, that person has a chance to have a bad run in with johnny law. Now if I take the same person and show them smoking a "joint" and no rolling of the joint, how do you know what is in it. For all you know its just tobacco. Get it now?

Exactly. People who can't clearly realize this is fake are exactly why this show has ratings.

yeah i get that. why wouldn't they just show the yeast being added. then seven days later, empty the tank and use something else? or better yet, add something that's not yeast. cops don't have to see you add yeast to come check out you're ****. the fact that you have a still is enough. get it now?

and as far as the liquid. of course its not water. but they have it coming out of the still don't they? if they are smart enough to rig up something that looks like a still a spits out alcohol, they they are probably smart enough to know that not adding yeast (or some look alike) is stupid.

of course the show is fake. it's a reality show. i just don't think its fake for the reasons being proposed

rycov said:
yeah i get that. why wouldn't they just show the yeast being added. then seven days later, empty the tank and use something else? or better yet, add something that's not yeast. cops don't have to see you add yeast to come check out you're ****. the fact that you have a still is enough. get it now?

and as far as the liquid. of course its not water. but they have it coming out of the still don't they? if they are smart enough to rig up something that looks like a still a spits out alcohol, they they are probably smart enough to know that not adding yeast (or some look alike) is stupid.

of course the show is fake. it's a reality show. i just don't think its fake for the reasons being proposed

No you still are not getting it. Owning a still is not illegal. Running a liquid in it with alcohol in it is illegal. Without showing the yeast being added there is no legal repercussion that can be had. No yeast = no fermentation = no spirits created. No do you get it?

its not illegal. i didn't say that. it is, however, reason to check you out a see what you're up to. ethanol production actually is legal, for feul purposes.

also. the fact that they have to leave the mash for seven days then come back to it, and the pot was not being recorded the whole time, means you can't prove that they what they were distilling had alcohol in it or that it was even the same liquid.

Misfit I know what you're saying. Without valid proof on video that he is mashing corn, adding yeast, fermenting, then distilling that particular liquid it is perfectly legal to show him using that still and the product coming out of the "worm" is not necessarily moonshine (though we know it is) that's just what they call that particular liquid. Right?

waddsworth said:
So I just watched the finale last night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they just boil bananas to make their brandy? Seems to me they missed a critical step...

Watching the re-run now. Banana Brandy? I dont see why they didnt just throw the peels in too. Has me wondering if I can mash bananas. Banana Cream Pie Ale anyone?

Stevo2569 said:
Watching the re-run now. Banana Brandy? I dont see why they didnt just throw the peels in too. Has me wondering if I can mash bananas. Banana Cream Pie Ale anyone?

I don't know why I didn't think of that but that sounds like it would be the ****. Maybe even a stout?

of course they aren't going to have it look like just water.

Exactly. People who can't clearly realize this is fake are exactly why this show has ratings.

No, it has ratings because it's hilarious. It's The Dukes Of Hazard trying to appear real with a drunken hillbilly falling off the roof.

That could be a cop following us. We'd better gun it so they can bust us for speeding and see all the illegal ligger in the back.

Good stuff.

You can't use :ban: peels or (generally fruit) seed as they are too woody and priduce methanol, which you want to keep OUT of your mash. Methanol is cooked off in the heads and tossed but you still want to minimize their overall production. It's just a waste of yeast, fuel and on a smaller scale, pot space, to knowingly put woody stuff in your mash to produce unfriendly heads.

This is one of the reasons that fruit-based liquor is more expensive - labor intensive to remove apple seeds, etc for a comparably weak product.

I chuckle at the mashing process, as shown, on the show - adding corn and sugar DURING distillation to get more output?!? Now he must have SOME KIND of extra super turbo yeast. Mine tends to take 5-7days (not minutes).

I chuckle at the mashing process, as shown, on the show - adding corn and sugar DURING distillation to get more output?!? Now he must have SOME KIND of extra super turbo yeast. Mine tends to take 5-7days (not minutes).

! so that WAS stupid! i thought i understood the basic process.

then i saw them do that and I was like......what?????

also fyi, i wouldn't talk about any actual distilling you are doing on this forum, it's a quick way to get banned.

After my curiosity got the best of me, i did a little research. It turns out they do have some Super yeast strain for this that only takes 48 hours. Not sure what the deal is, but hey.

Please don't ban me, just discussing the show.

48h, yes, but that's still not quick enough to work during the cook-off.

Now, since this is actually a beer forum - anyone try the 48h stuff in beer? I've never made any but teh process (on it's face) seems simple enough - make a yummy malt soup, add yeast to make some alcohol in it, after the yeast dies add other flavoring ingredients and a little sugar for CO2 production.

Any particular reason you couldnt speed the whole thing up with this 48h yeast?

Well, the show has stated that there was no actual distilling done on the show. I really tried to give it a chance but it was to much fakery and no compelling story to keep me interested.

Now that DANCE MOMS is back I have a train wreck to watch. :eek:

Well, the show has stated that there was no actual distilling done on the show. I really tried to give it a chance but it was to much fakery and no compelling story to keep me interested.

Now that DANCE MOMS is back I have a train wreck to watch. :eek:

What? Dance Moms isn't real either? My wife is going to be pissed.

Also wouldn't the yeast die off in the high heat it takes to do something like this? I know when I pitch yeast for my beer I'm not adding it during the boil as it will kill my yeast off. They must have a Lou Ferrigno yeast strain crossed between a Tyrone Biggums yeast strain to last the heat and eat the sugars so fast.

Also wouldn't the yeast die off in the high heat it takes to do something like this? I know when I pitch yeast for my beer I'm not adding it during the boil as it will kill my yeast off. They must have a Lou Ferrigno yeast strain crossed between a Tyrone Biggums yeast strain to last the heat and eat the sugars so fast.

Never mind the massive amount of CO2 production trying to convert sugars so fast in a sealed environment.

Back