Plate chiller hop filter pics wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
Iike the title says, I want to see what you guys are using to strain hops and break before going into your plate chillers :).

I am planning on whirlpooling and setting my pick up against the wall of my kettle, but I am thinking I might need a secondary filter of some kind as a just in case method. Let's see what you guys are using!!

I thought that the holes in a FB were typically too big and would let pellet hop debris through, is this not correct?

I use a hop spider for all my brews and don't worry about the cold break. I've never had a clog in my plate chiller.

Does the hop spider work for pellet hops as well? I am (slowly) starting to come around to the idea of a hop spider, still not that crazy about the design, but I am sure that is just me being stubborn.

Yes it does. It works equally well with pellets, plugs and whole hops. There's a little more clean up of the hop bag, but it's around 30 seconds of extra cleaning. Just search the forum for hop spider. I use the version that has 2 huge pipe clamps that meet in the middle on two threaded rods.

get a 30 micron stainless steel mesh, I used a 12" x 24"
fold the mesh in half, use key rings to fashion it shut and put your pickup inside of it. Works great for me, very easy to clean, and if it were to get plugged on the inside it can be taken apart easily.
under $20 to make.

get a 30 micron stainless steel mesh, I used a 12" x 24"
fold the mesh in half, use key rings to fashion it shut and put your pickup inside of it. Works great for me, very easy to clean, and if it were to get plugged on the inside it can be taken apart easily.
under $20 to make.

That is another method that I have thought about. My thoughts along those lines were to make the pick up tube vertical, along the side of the kettle, then use a screen like that on it against the wall, and still whirlpool. That seems like it should work, and would be a fairly cheap solution. My only concern is damaging the screen during the whirlpool.

have you ever looked at this? I know its pricey but looks like it does a very nice job
Testing the Brewers Hardware Trub Filter Strainer

My only issue with that is the pirce point. At that price I would kind of rather boil an extra few gallons of wort and place my pickup higher in the kettle and let the trub whirlpool and settle out. And that might just be my final solution to the matter, but I would kind of prefer it not to be.

Chamomile_in_Hop_Bag.JPG

That is another method that I have thought about. My thoughts along those lines were to make the pick up tube vertical, along the side of the kettle, then use a screen like that on it against the wall, and still whirlpool. That seems like it should work, and would be a fairly cheap solution. My only concern is damaging the screen during the whirlpool.

the screen i have you won't be able to destroy very easily, very good quality stuff.

Here is my simple to make, easy to clean hop filter

easy hop filter

When I switched to a plate chiller the need for a better hop filter was quickly evident. I went through several versions before settling on the one in the link.

Back