Old boil kettle with weldless fitting to boil Turkey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewFoSho

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the food grade weldless fitting rubber washers would be safe up to around 400degress where a turkey would be deep fried????It's a retired boil kettle that I'm thinking of using

Thanks,
Greg

stick to 325-350 F for turkey frying... the gasket will hold up fine at that temp.. higher temps than that push too close to the flash point.. i think its about 450 F.

Just to let everyone know, the keggle worked great for turkey frying. It's a lot safer than the smaller pots that come with the kits. Plus it helps to have a large brewing cart with Natural Gas burners. I was a little worried at first because when the oil started to get to around 250' some small bubbles started to come out of the weldless fitting but it must have just been some air trapped in there. It was nice to drain the oil out of the keggle back into the containers for storage with the valve on the bottom too. I did take off the copper elbow that will be in my boil keggle , I wasn't sure what affect it would have and I don't want to safe the last bit of dirty oil anyways. I'm going to cut another keg and make another keggle and save this one just for turkey's and other fried stuff.

Just to let everyone know, the keggle worked great for turkey frying. It's a lot safer than the smaller pots that come with the kits. Plus it helps to have a large brewing cart with Natural Gas burners. I was a little worried at first because when the oil started to get to around 250' some small bubbles started to come out of the weldless fitting but it must have just been some air trapped in there. It was nice to drain the oil out of the keggle back into the containers for storage with the valve on the bottom too. I did take off the copper elbow that will be in my boil keggle , I wasn't sure what affect it would have and I don't want to safe the last bit of dirty oil anyways. I'm going to cut another keg and make another keggle and save this one just for turkey's and other fried stuff.

Quick question for you, as I'd like to follow in your foot-steps and use my keggle. What did you use for taking the turkey in and out of the oil? Also, how big of a turkey did you fry? Thanks!

Craig

Quick question for you, as I'd like to follow in your foot-steps and use my keggle. What did you use for taking the turkey in and out of the oil? Also, how big of a turkey did you fry? Thanks!

Craig

I need to have my HB talk notifications go to Gmail instead of my work email haha. Sorry to just get back to you. I actually already had the Bayou Classic Turkey frying kit. The kit comes with an aluminum stand that you stand the turkey up on and a hook with a handle to lower it down. I just like the keggle because it's a LOT safer then trying to fit I big bird in one of the smaller pots that come with those kits. I think I did an 18 pounder? Really you could fit even bigger no problem.

Back