Potassium Sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey all

Just a quick question

So i made a half cider half beer last night (dont know what you would call that) pitched the yeast from a started ( i am using a strain i cultured from duvel).

I was just cleaning up this morning and realized that the apple juice contained potassium sorbate whcih im pretty sure inhibits fermentation but i dont know if the dilution of it with the wort will allow for yeast growth or if making another started and adding that to douse it with yeast would increase its chancing of fermentation

Hey all

Just a quick question

So i made a half cider half beer last night (dont know what you would call that) pitched the yeast from a started ( i am using a strain i cultured from duvel).

I was just cleaning up this morning and realized that the apple juice contained potassium sorbate whcih im pretty sure inhibits fermentation but i dont know if the dilution of it with the wort will allow for yeast growth or if making another started and adding that to douse it with yeast would increase its chancing of fermentation

Sorbate inhibits fermentation by inhibiting yeast reproduction. SO, if you have enough yeast and a small enough amount of sorbate, it should work.

The question then is "how much yeast is enough?" and for that I don't really know.

From what I've read about potasium sorbate, you are stuck, it will never ferment.... If it is a enzyme reaction, it will keep killing yeast and never use itself up.

Although I'll admit my source on potasium sorbate as a preservative didn't mention if it could be over powered or not. It simply stated that if you had some potasium sorbate in your juice that you were using to ferment what you now had wasn't a fermenting must/wort but a very sweet container of juice.

Hey guys just thought id give you a quick update

SORBATE CAN BE OVERCOME!

I added about 500mL from a culture of chico yeast and it has taken off!

Its not as fast as a normal fermentation but its going at a good pace

Sorbate can be overcome, i do not have any off smalles develop but i will update once i bottle

Cheers

If what Yooper says is right ... yeast growth is inhibited ... then pitching a lot would over come. However, finding a new juice w/o Sorbate would of course be best for next time.

Glad it worked out.
Let us know how it tastes ... 1/2 Apple 1/2 Barley.

Hey Guys

thought i would just update you on how this turned out!

IT FERMENTED FULLY!

the second addition of yeast really helped however it did develop a sulfer note which with a few moths of aging went away. I bottled it last week and just sampled it now and its good :)

The hops come through a little strong for me but the apple taste it very nice and is balanced out. I think with a few more months of aging, it will turn out very nice :)

Latest posts

Back