Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer None More Black Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he's merely implying to get your water up to temp at 150 on the stovetop and when your ready toss in your grain sack and if your pot can fit use your oven (pre-heated to 150) to help hold a consistent temp if you have trouble doing so on the stovetop/burner

well got it brewed, moved to secondary two days ago and had about a 1/2 gallon extra, but hit the gravities pretty well so I sampled the leftovers and man is it good, even added a drop of vanilla for a hint of the taste. I like it smooth, even the wife who hates dark beers enjoyed it and was excited.

Check it outttttt. I think I finally got it about right. Tell me what you guys think =] Suggestions?

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/24/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: JonBRout
Boil Size: 6.34 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00
Taste Notes: ~2.5 Tablespoons Vanilla extract added to Secondary.
Sparge at 180ish?

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.84 %
2.88 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.67 %
0.92 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.89 %
0.61 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
0.52 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 19.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 43.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.29 lb
Sparge Water: 4.07 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

I followed this and got an OG of about 1.062. I used pacman yeast I harvest. I have oak chips and vanilla soaking in bourbon as we speak and my mouth is watering.

8 weeks to go!! :drunk:

I just picked up the stuff yesterday and am starting today. I doctored with the recipe a bit based on some other recipes I've been looking at.

7 lbs Dark Liquid Extract
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/4/lb Black Patent
2 lbs Flaked Oats
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0 60 min)
1 oz Fuggle (4.1 5 minutes)
Wyeast Irish Ale
4 vanilla beans into the secondary.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

And how did it come out?

I made this a few weeks back - there were some hiccups, but nothing serious. I stuck with extract. My dad drank about 4 and said he wanted to start making beer, and my wife really liked it too. I would like to make another batch, and I am interested in more grains (including oats)....

So I'll ask again - what was the verdict? :drunk:

Just want to chime in again and say that this was by far the best beer I've ever had. I have tried alot of beers since making this too. I believe it only lasted 2 weeks till all were gone (50 Bottles) after carbonating in bottles for 2 weeks. Even got the same response from friends and family that love craft beer as well.

So with all that said. I will update with my new recipe list of this as I just made it again but tried a scottish yeast.
Ill try and dig up some pics as well.

Looking forward to this one, just ordered all the parts. How strong of a vanilla favor/aroma does this have? I'm looking for med-strong. I ordered vanilla beans and going to try to tea them in so to say. I am going to boil them for a couple min and pour the cooled tea into the primary

just curious about about the bourbon soaking oak chips and vanilla beans. does anyone have any tips I have never done it before and am curious about how long it all needs to soak and how much bourbon to use. any help would be great thanks.

going to be racking and adding the vanilla sometime this week. Slowly getting there.

I tried adding a bit of vanilla to the hydro sample i took over the weekend, TASTY!

I'm using an extract my brother gave to me. Pure Madagascar Bourbon vanilla or something like that. He picked it up at a Kitchen/Cooking supply store.

6 lb. Dark Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract
.75 lb. Black Patent Malt
.25 lb. Roasted Barley
1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes
1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes
2.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (add to secondary)
1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Okay, I'm adding this to my queue and Beersmith. I'm wondering, is this an American Stout (13E) because of the OG, even though the color is a bit low? Or, a Specialty Beer (23A)? Which is just a catch-all category. Or a Sweet Stout (13B), but again, the SRM is low?

Just brewed up an all grain version of this today. Tasted great going into the fermenter. can't wait to try it.

Just bottled on saturday, after a 3 week primary and a week with the vanilla in secondary. I used 2.5-3 tablespoons of vanilla extract. The vanilla smell is strong, and lays on the tongue nicely as an aftertaste ... from what i tasted of what was left in the bottling bucket. All in all, i can't wait to open the first one.

The guy at my brew supply store said I can just add the vanilla extract to my bottling bucket and bottle from there. Will that hurt the flavor? Will the yeast in the bottle eat the extract? Is secondary fermenting the only way to get the vanilla taste you're talking about. I also added a pound of oatmeal to the recipe to smooth it about a bit. Hope that won't bite me in the bum.

I bottled this on the 28th of November. I cracked one open this past Friday to make sure everything was carbing right and even under a week in the bottle this stuff was amazing. I only put in 1.5 tbsp of vanilla because I ran out and you could still taste the vanilla. This is definitely going into my normal rotation.

has been bottled for just over a week now, i tried one very prematurely about 3 days after bottling. The vanilla overwhelmed me, i was worried i had added too much vanilla.

I opened one last night, and to my pleasure, the vanilla has begun to mellow out very nicely. Comes on as a nice afterthought now, as well the aroma of the vanilla is strong.

I won't open the next one for another week, as the carbonation was obviously still lacking. I was just very happy to see the vanilla mellowing out nicely, and the profile of the beer coming through and meshing now.

Looks like this is gonna be a good one!

I'm going to rack this to secondary tomorrow, I have 3 vanilla beans soaking in a 1/2 pint of Makers. Would adding coffee & chocolate to this in addition to the bourbon & vanilla be too much?

I'm going to rack this to secondary tomorrow, I have 3 vanilla beans soaking in a 1/2 pint of Makers. Would adding coffee & chocolate to this in addition to the bourbon & vanilla be too much?

It could be, but then again the only way to know for sure is to try it out. I'm no expert, but I think the addition of both chocolate and coffee would be perhaps overpower the overall flavor profile. I would probably choose one or the other, vanilla chocolate or vanilla coffee ... Keeping it a little simpler while still adding a bit more complexity.

With that said, it is your beer and you should do what you want. Experimentation is The best part of homebrewing!

It could be, but then again the only way to know for sure is to try it out. I'm no expert, but I think the addition of both chocolate and coffee would be perhaps overpower the overall flavor profile. I would probably choose one or the other, vanilla chocolate or vanilla coffee ... Keeping it a little simpler while still adding a bit more complexity.

With that said, it is your beer and you should do what you want. Experimentation is The best part of homebrewing!

I ended up putting in 3 vanilla beans that have been soaking in 1/2 pt of makers, liquid & all, and 2 oz of coarsely ground coffee beans. We'll see what come out. :ban:

It's finally getting to the point where it's tasting good. It was very heavy on the coffee at first, and now that's starting to mellow a bit, and the vanilla & bourbon is coming through. I think another week or two and it'll be very nice.

Tried this again last night, and it tasted a bit like Coca Cola. Strange I know, but the combination of coffee, bourbon & vanilla gave it a unsweetened coke-like flavor. Not unpleasant at all, just unexpected.

I brewed a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to rack (I was bottling a previous batch at the time) and got sidetracked and forgot to add the vanilla extract. Can I just pour it into my secondary or should I rack to a tertiary doing it right this time?

I'm down to just 1 or 2 bottles left from my batch of this and they still have a very good, strong vanilla flavor. I added 2-3 times more vanilla extract than the recipe called for while racking into the secondary, and the vanilla extract I used was procured at a local market in St. Martin when I was vacationing there in 2009. One friend said it was the best beer I ever made!

That's it. I'm brewing this one. My favorite beer in the world is a Vanilla Stout from my local brewery and I've been looking for a good recipe. I think I'm sold. Has anyone tried the converted all grain recipe? How did it turn out?

I'm going to add some oatmeal and add in some special vanilla extract I'm getting in Nashville with 4.9/5 rating over 120 reviews. I'll let you know how it turns out, I'm flipping excited about this one.

Here's the extract if anyone cares.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...ing&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=Food&cm_ite=4381208

And how did it come out?

I made this a few weeks back - there were some hiccups, but nothing serious. I stuck with extract. My dad drank about 4 and said he wanted to start making beer, and my wife really liked it too. I would like to make another batch, and I am interested in more grains (including oats)....

So I'll ask again - what was the verdict? :drunk:

First off it came out great. By far the best beer I've made to date. It has an almost soda like flavor with the 4 vanilla beans. The main thing I'd suggest is if you go with what I have above on my earlier post that you use multiple bags, one for the oats, one for everything else. The gravity came out a bit lower than desired and because I teabagged it the oat utilization wasn't very good. But the flavor was super smooth.

Elisha8685 said:
That's it. I'm brewing this one. My favorite beer in the world is a Vanilla Stout from my local brewery and I've been looking for a good recipe. I think I'm sold. Has anyone tried the converted all grain recipe? How did it turn out?

I'm going to add some oatmeal and add in some special vanilla extract I'm getting in Nashville with 4.9/5 rating over 120 reviews. I'll let you know how it turns out, I'm flipping excited about this one.

Here's the extract if anyone cares.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/4381208/?catalogId=51&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=Food&cm_ite=4381208

That's the vanilla I used! Seriously good stuff!

Trying this tomorrow!
My LHBS doesn't carry dark malt extract, so I upped the roasted barley about 30%.
Is there anything else I can do to make up using Pale extract?

This sounds really good, I'm happy it worked out for you. Nothing better than that feeling of success. How did you reach your decision on hops? I get lost in hop choices for my beers and could use any feedback in good hops for "sweeter" stouts.

Made this again with Columbus for the bitter and Nottingham yeast. Just added the vanilla yesterday. Really active fermentation.

I am about to finish up my first batch of this recipe and it has been a hit. Everyone has loved it and I love it so much that I plan on brewing it again in about two weeks. I used two vanilla beans that I soaked in bourbon for two weeks. I actually filled the vial that the beans came in. I also added about 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. I am happy with the balance. The vanilla flavor wasn't overwhelming at all. Thanks for the recipe!

HopslamNYGiant40 said:
Sorry if I am asking a question already answered but for those who have brewed the extract version what was your starting gravity?

I had 1.058

i just brewed this a few weeks ago (well maybe a month ago) and now it will be ready in a week.

only thing that worries me is that i did not taste any vanilla before bottling

it was a good stout but no vanilla so hopefully i can taste it after carbonation

Latest posts

Back