Sanitary Pumps to use in CIP brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuertele

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am designing a CIP brewery but I'm not finding the pump I want.

I want something like a March 815-SS-C but with Tri-Clover clamp ends instead of NPT. I saw one of those on MoreBeer's pro site once, but it is gone now and nobody there knows anything about it.

Can anyone recommend a pump that comes with TC ends? Preferably 1" OD tubing, but 3/4" would be acceptable.

If all I can get are threaded pumps, how feasible is it to have someone cut off the threads and weld on a TC ferrule?

Is there some other way to get a sanitary pump that I should know about?

I am designing a CIP brewery but I'm not finding the pump I want.

I want something like a March 815-SS-C but with Tri-Clover clamp ends instead of NPT. I saw one of those on MoreBeer's pro site once, but it is gone now and nobody there knows anything about it.

I don't think the March you selected is the pump for the job.
It takes 1/2 HP or larger pump to get the pressure and flow rate required to use with spray balls for your CIP system.
Many years ago I purchased a Chinese made SS pump for the cleaning process.
Search for a used commercial pump.
CIPMashPumps.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

ClaudiusB, it looks like your pumps have threaded ports. Are you happy with that?
Yes.
The pump is only used with PBW and Acid washing the tanks.

Sanitizing the fermenters and other equipment is done with pressurized SaniClean tanks, no pump.
You can find this type of pump or similar used, if you go to ProBrewer.com., no threaded ports.
SS_Pump_After016-1.jpg

New_Pump_Before-1-1.jpg

Remember I am a homebrewer.;)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

You can find this type of pump or similar used, if you go to ProBrewer.com., no threaded ports.
SS_Pump_After016-1.jpg

New_Pump_Before-1-1.jpg
That looks like a positive displacement pump. Do they even make those for single phase 110V with 1" ports? Everything I see on probrewer.com is 10x bigger than what I could use.

Remember I am a homebrewer.;)
Hmm... Your photos make it difficult to imagine that you are not a pro!

What is the issue with using threaded parts for a CIP system?

oh yeah, for some reason I was thinking it was a didicated pump for the cleaning :cross: Doh!
Thinking about this, could you get the threaded pump, thread some tri clover furrules or flanges, screw them in, fillet weld between the inside of the threaded flange and the end of the pump thead.

That looks like a positive displacement pump.
Yes, lobe type

SS_Pump_After011-1.jpg

Do they even make those for single phase 110V with 1" ports? Everything I see on probrewer.com is 10x bigger than what I could use.
I replaced the original 240 V single phase with a 120 V, 1 HP motor.

oh yeah, for some reason I was thinking it was a didicated pump for the cleaning Doh!
Mattd2 mine are dedicated cleaning pumps.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Does anyone make a 1/2HP magnetic drive pump with 1" tri-clover ends? The closest thing I could find was McMaster-Carr 49635K41, but it is not magnetic drive, and it has 1.5" ends.

Actually these guys http://uaprom-file.s3.amazonaws.com/30116_tmagbrochure.pdf will make you one with tri clovers. I bet it will cost between $2000 and $3000 though. Thats kinda steep for a home brewer.
I looked at the brochure, and was surprised to see the complicated flow diagram on page 3. Is the "typical mag drive flow path" really typical for the magnetic drive pumps that homebrewers use, like the march and LG?

I looked at the brochure, and was surprised to see the complicated flow diagram on page 3. Is the "typical mag drive flow path" really typical for the magnetic drive pumps that homebrewers use, like the march and LG?

This is not a typical homebrewers pump but you asked for a 1/2 HP magnetic pump with triclover outputs. This is a magnetic drive centrifugal pump. Most homebrewering pumps like the March and Little Giant are much less than a half HP and do not come with triclovers.

OK, after much surfing, I think I have found the pump in my budget that is close to the specification that I want.

The March TE-5.5S-MD is a 1/3hp mag drive centrifugal pump with stainless head and 1" FNPT inlet and 3/4" MNTP outlet. I will have tri-clover flanges welded onto the head. The pump is not self-priming, but I think I can live with that.

At $1600 new, this is a purchase I can not make lightly! I would rather have a gear drive, but they are far more expensive than this. I wonder if anyone can recommend a cheaper pump with similar specs to the TE-5.5S-MD?

OK, after much surfing, I think I have found the pump in my budget that is close to the specification that I want.

The March TE-5.5S-MD is a 1/3hp mag drive centrifugal pump with stainless head and 1" FNPT inlet and 3/4" MNTP outlet. I will have tri-clover flanges welded onto the head. The pump is not self-priming, but I think I can live with that.

At $1600 new, this is a purchase I can not make lightly! I would rather have a gear drive, but they are far more expensive than this. I wonder if anyone can recommend a cheaper pump with similar specs to the TE-5.5S-MD?

That seems like a lot of money for a CIP pump. If you are spending that type of money for a simple CIP pump I hope you are using all welded triclover plumbing for the rest of your brewery to make this purchase worth it.

That seems like a lot of money for a CIP pump. If you are spending that type of money for a simple CIP pump I hope you are using all welded triclover plumbing for the rest of your brewery to make this purchase worth it.
The brewery will be triclover throughout. But the pump will not be just CIP. It will be CIP plus boil kettle recirc (chilling and whirlpool) and transfer to fermenter. The MT and HLT pumps will be much cheaper march 809s (which I already own).

I'm still hoping that I don't pay that much for a pump. These are the specs I want, but I'm not married to this pump. Also, I'm willing to buy used. But I haven't found a used or otherwise equivalent pump yet.

The brewery will be triclover throughout. But the pump will not be just CIP. It will be CIP plus boil kettle recirc (chilling and whirlpool) and transfer to fermenter. The MT and HLT pumps will be much cheaper march 809s (which I already own).

I'm still hoping that I don't pay that much for a pump. These are the specs I want, but I'm not married to this pump. Also, I'm willing to buy used. But I haven't found a used or otherwise equivalent pump yet.

I appreciate you clarifying that for me. I have one last question though. Are you spending the big money just to have the welded triclovers or larger horsepower?

I don't mean to thread-jack here, but I have a question. What are the characteristics of a good CIP pump? Could you just use any centrifugal pump? What size motor would you need and what types of output pressure are needed for spray balls, etc? I'm sure different CIP equipment requires different pressures and such, but what would be a good range? Sorry, that's a lot of questions.:eek:
:mug:

Back