Used Danby Kegerator and Hoff-Stevens Keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BornInaHoller

Reaction score
HI,
I just picked up a used older model(I think 1990) DKC445BL Kegerator. The lines on it are very dirty. It looks like it hasn't been used in a long time. It has a sanke coupler. At first I planned on converting to corny kegs, however, I have two old 1/4 Hoff-Stevens kegs my parents had laying around and I would like a cheap keg set-up for now. I found a hoff-stevens coupler for $15 I am thinking about purchasing. I also found a place to buy hoff-stevens plastic bungs.

So, here are my questions:
1. Should I replace anything besides the beer and gas lines on the kegerator.

2. What is the best way to thoroughly clean the other fittings, faucet, etc?

3. Has anyone had luck using Hoff-Stevens kegs and how hard are they to clean?

I know people don't like using Hoff-Stevens kegs. But, right now, I think it would be the cheapest way for me to get up and going with my kegerator.

Corny kegs $17.99... Unfortunately I'm not to knowledgeable of Hoff Stevens kegs other then some reading on the site...

1. As long as you take apart the tap and sankey and clean/sanitize them well, you should be good. Make sure your regulator holds pressures well when you first hook it up.

2. If you can, I'd do a good soak in PBW/OxyClean, and then sanitize in Starsan (my sanitizer of choice anyway).

3. PBW/OxyClean.. I don't think you can get in there and scrub pretty well, but a good hot soak should do the trick.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I know not many people are currently using the hoff-stevens kegs, but since I have them and I am on limited funds, I think they are the best option for me. I eventually will go to corny kegs, but for now this will be a cheap, small set up.

Here is the coupler I bought.
http://tinyurl.com/dy38fa

It came with a regulator as a bonus. Does anyone know if this looks like a decent regulator? (I have another that came with my kegerator, so I don't have to use it).

Also, Will I need any special fittings to connect my beer line to the hoff-stevens coupler? Or, will it just connect with a standard hex nut fitting?

THANKS

I believe you will need a hex/beer nut and a tail piece-

You can get tail pieces with different size barbs, or ones that have 1/4 MFL threads.

Back