What are your low-cost homebrewery must-haves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewflyfish

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a relative n00b with my 3rd batch dry-hopping in the 2ndary and many more ingredients somewhere in a UPS truck. In my first 3 batches (so far so good), I've learned an amazing amount with no shortage of great advice from this site. So thanks!

In my short time as a brewer, there's a few things that I've learned from this forum, purchased from a HBS, or figured out on my own that have made my process go much better. I figured I'd list them here while they're still fresh "innovations" for me because they might help someone else. Some are obvious to experienced brewers, but they helped me so they'll likely help someone else just starting out.

Here's my "beerovations"...

- Short garden hose & faucet adapter: I brew in a small Manhattan apartment kitchen, so a short garden hose with a faucet adapter has been an key purchase. Try washing a 6.5 gallon bucket in a regular sink!

- More vinyl tubing: I bought more tubing at Home Depot and it has turned out to be huge. I had to make an emergency blow-off tube, so having extra for siphoning was important. I also broke the racking cane in my autosiphon trying to take off the hose...fortunately I had a spare regular cane that I attached to the plunger of the autosiphon (I broke it off closer) with a bit of extra tubing.

- Plumbers tape: there's the white kind you put in the threads of fittings, and the black kind you wrap around pipe joints. It's available at hardware stores and it helps. My faucet connection leaks, but the tape helps. My IC also leaked where the hose attached to the metal of the IC. The black tape cured that problem so I don't have to worry about water dripping into my cooling wort.

- Starsan. Just buy-it, don't fear the foam, end of story. A spray bottle and a used poland spring bottle full of it is very handy.

- A large kitchen strainer: I went to a restaurant supply store (must cheaper) and bought a big wood-handled strainer. It sits on top of the ale pale perfectly, don't even need to hold it, and does two things fantastically...first, it strains out grains, proteins, and hops from the wort...second, it aerates the heck out of the wort. But the time I'm done pouring it it's all foamy like crazy. Something like this

- 2nd thermometer: having a second thermometer on brew day is super handy.

- Wine thief: infinitely better than a leaky turkey baster

- Bottle out of the cases: When bottling I found it's much better to take the bottles out of the cases to fill them because I spill a little and that ruins the cardboard cases. I live in nyc and beer soaked cardboard is not good for keeping the local "ecology" away. Revvy has a great write-up on a nice system I plan to try next time that appears much better.

- Google site:homebrewtalk.com As a n00b I learned that this site is an amazing resource and almost every problem a n00b could have has been dealt with here by someone with a ton of experience. I find the Google Search is much better than the integrated search in the upper right. You can add "site:homebrewtalk.com" to the search box in Google, or use the google box in the search dropdown.

- A remote temp sensor: I have an oregon scientific wireless weather station. I used to have one in the BR and one outside, but the outside one moved to right next to the fermenter. This way I can check the temp from bed!

- Blow off tube: I'll be doing these from now on as I experienced a nice exploding airlock. Check it out.

If I think of more, which I'm sure there's some I'm overlooking, I'll add them to the end. I hope this is helpful to someone!

More importantly, I'd be really curious to hear what other "hacks" people have made that have significantly improved their lives as a new brewer so that they could take the RDWHAHB advice more seriously.

Perfect Revvy, that's the post of yours I alluded to. Thanks for adding it!

Admittedly there's probably a lot of these hacks out there allover, and maybe a thread like this exists already that we could just link to. I wrote the Google one above with some fear that a similar thread exists. But, at least my helpful hints are out there now too!

Great thread! I can feel ya on the 2nd thermometer! when I was brewing my Double Chocolate Stout (came out great btw, just needs to condition a bit longer) I dropped my electric thermometer in the wort!!! I went out and bought 3 more at 11 bucks a piece and a non-electric one, it was a scramble for sure because I had my wort brewing at the house. I would say my biggest must do is recycling the star san solution. If I make five gallons of star san and water, you better believe I am going to sanitize every piece of kit that is not in use or might be in use! I use a 22 gallon rubbermaid storage bin in the tub also, not a bad buy for 7 bucks.

RGH, actually now that you mention it I think all us beginners should probably get at least two of everything that could break or get ruined on brew day (provided we can afford it).

I can think of nothing worse than something happening in the middle of a boil with no remedy. The closest homebrew shop is an hour away from me :eek:

As another NYC apartment brewer here are things that helped me:

70 quart cooler to control the temperature - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/newbies-2nd-batch-some-diy-cooling-chamber-85133/

digital thermometers that i attach to my primaries - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/3-wired-digital-thermometer-82194/

reusable ice packs (use to cool wort & water in cooler) - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-these-cooling-82325/

home - you should try washing your primary in your bathtub, thats what I do.

Paint strainer bags... cheap and handy for straining, for mashing, and even boiling hops in. Plus, I use plain old clothespins to clip them up to the side of the brewpot.
Not really a tool, but a good source for chea... uh, I mean frugal, people like me is Craigslist, so I'd count that too.

I have to second the OPs mention of extra tubing and racking cane. I also broke my racking cane trying to use my only tube for both siphoning and blow off (only because my airlock was also exploding at 6am as informed by SWMBO). It was right after I spit washed siphoned yeast into my beer...tip 2: get an autosiphon.

I second the auto-siphon recommendation. Also, buy hydrometers 2 at a time, if you only own one, you might as well break it on the floor now, because it will happen soon anyway.:confused:

Just thought of another thing I use like crazy that, while might not work as well as I hope, at least gives me some comfort...

Purell, the hand sanitizer. I use it right before I do anything with my hands after the boil or while it's fermenting, being bottled, etc. It's handy.

Clorox wipes are handy as well.

I've recently discovered Oxyclean for label removal, and all I can say is, don't even TRY to remove labels without it. I let 60 or so bottles sit in a big tupperware of warm water with a couple scoops, and all the labels fell off within an hour. WAY easier than trying to scrape and scrub.

Also, a vinator and bottle tree are really nice for sanitizing and drying washed/sanitized bottles.

I just learned I need a spare hydrometer test tube. Mine mysteriously broke and I cannot for the life of me find anything that will work as a suitable replacement. I guess I am just going to drop the hydro in.

I agree about the digital scale aswell. 100% must have and they are pretty cheap.

I use an infrared thermometer (Raytek MT6, $45 on eBay). It gives me instant readings and nothing ever touches the wort.

Another accessory worth it's weight in gold is a bottle tree ($50). I sanitize the bottles with StarSan and hang them on the tree next to my bottling bucket. By the time I'm ready to bottle they are all dry and within reach.

My home made immersion chiller cost me about $30 in materials and will cool 5 gallons of wort in about 20 minutes.

All of the water I brew with goes through an activated charcoal filter ($20 at Home Depot).

My Jet bottle washer ($12) works so well that I rarely need to use a bottle brush.

All of my buckets have spigots in them ($4) so I never need to siphon. :ban:

Tom

I just learned I need a spare hydrometer test tube. Mine mysteriously broke and I cannot for the life of me find anything that will work as a suitable replacement. I guess I am just going to drop the hydro in.

I agree about the digital scale aswell. 100% must have and they are pretty cheap.

When this happened to me I bought a wine thief... a very handy tool.

you may want to buy 2 or 3 more airlocks

they are cheap

so when SWMBO or daughter in a cleaning frenzy

throws the lids to them away thinking they are lids from some hot sauce

as mine did

so far SWMBO has broken 1 hydrometer and "someone lost both caps to my airlocks" had to rig some saran wrap and a rubber band on it to work

:mug:

I use an infrared thermometer (Raytek MT6, $45 on eBay). It gives me instant readings and nothing ever touches the wort.

Another accessory worth it's weight in gold is a bottle tree ($50). I sanitize the bottles with StarSan and hang them on the tree next to my bottling bucket. By the time I'm ready to bottle they are all dry and within reach.

My home made immersion chiller cost me about $30 in materials and will cool 5 gallons of wort in about 20 minutes.

All of the water I brew with goes through an activated charcoal filter ($20 at Home Depot).

My Jet bottle washer ($12) works so well that I rarely need to use a bottle brush.

All of my buckets have spigots in them ($4) so I never need to siphon. :ban:

Tom

Good advise , i can't afford a bottle tree so i use plastic crates (like a big milk crate) to hang my bottles upside down after cleaning them , you have to fill it all the way with bottles ... (like a bed of nails) they hold each outher up side down... to dry then fill ... works for me, u can find plastic crates everywhere ... there virtually free. o and anything glass will break so be prepared.

wow this is a really helpful thread for a newbie like me. I don't think the wifey will appreciate the fact you guys just added like four things to my brewing shopping list though :)

I did pretty well without a bottle tree by using the dishwasher. I used my spray-bottle of star-san to sanitize the pegs that stick up in the dishwasher, and as I pulled sanitized bottles out of my bucket of solution, I just stuck them upside-down onto the pegs. Nothing can fall in, everything is nice and sanitary.

Also, haven't found a use for my bottle-brush yet... If you double-rinse your bottles the same night that they are emptied (or immediately, for yeast residue), and leave them upside-down to dry, there is nothing stuck inside.

i have a big 30" plastic lid from a chain barrel at work that i use to bring my pot to a boil on the electric stovetop. otherwise it takes twice as long.

For us outdoor brewers, a torch striker is way better than lighters for trying to light or relight a propane burner in the wind.
PAS4430.jpg

Oh wow! That's exactly what I need! I got a long-stem lighter for my stove, but it kept blowing out. I ended up holding a zippo under there, but when that stove lights up, it's like cape canaveral on launch day.

I'll be getting one of those torch strikers ASAP.

Oh wow! That's exactly what I need! I got a long-stem lighter for my stove, but it kept blowing out. I ended up holding a zippo under there, but when that stove lights up, it's like cape canaveral on launch day.

I'll be getting one of those torch strikers ASAP.

An additional bonus: When you brew on days like yesterday that hit a high of about 25F, you can operate a torch striker with gloves on. Get some spare flints, too. The flint always breaks or wears out at the worst possible time.

wow this is a really helpful thread for a newbie like me. I don't think the wifey will appreciate the fact you guys just added like four things to my brewing shopping list though :)

Haha, yeah I find I'm addicted to shopping for homebrewing supplies. It's just fun to look at all the fun stuff. A lot of good tips in this thread from everyone! Thanks!

I have to second the OPs mention of extra tubing and racking cane. I also broke my racking cane trying to use my only tube for both siphoning and blow off (only because my airlock was also exploding at 6am as informed by SWMBO). It was right after I spit washed siphoned yeast into my beer...tip 2: get an autosiphon.

+ 8,000,000,000!!!!!

Outstanding tool, makes life much easier IMHO!

No one mentioned it yet, so I will chime in a bit late:

$3 -- wallpaper tray -- essential item for soaking autosiphons, the wine thief, O2 wand, etc.

FlyGuy, I like your style man! Homebrewing and fly fishing...two things with limitless challenges and a need for a zen-like attitude. Rockin!

RDWHAHB -

Relax, Don't Worry, Hook A Huge Brown?

FlyGuy, I like your style man! Homebrewing and fly fishing...two things with limitless challenges and a need for a zen-like attitude. Rockin!

RDWHAHB -

Relax, Don't Worry, Hook A Huge Brown?

Have a Home Brew :)

you are @ HBT after all :)

FlyGuy is pretty fly for a fly guy :)

Welding gloves. You have much more dexterity with these, and they cover your arms halfway to your elbow.

Oven mitts are for panty-waists.

+1 for the welding gloves

I also cook with cast iron skillets and dutch ovens and those welding gloves do a wonderful job.

32 gallon trash can $11, plus lots of 20oz soda bottles filled with water to 1" from the top, then frozen, free with soda purchase ;). Dump in 5 gallons of used Starsan solution, and you have a perfect fermentation chamber that even has a lid to keep curious cats out! I have used this since my second batch, I always have optimum fermentation temps...

Link is in my sig, in the summer I add a wet T-shirt and fan as well...

Back