Lager Logic Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoXP

Reaction score
OK so I did some searches, and I think I've got it down, but looking for some short-answer checks of my logic. I'm about to embark on my first lager. The process as I understand is as follows.

Create a normal starter - larger is better
Pitch at ~50 degrees
Primary ferment 2-3 weeks at 48-52 degrees
Rack off of yeast to secondary
drop temperature of secondary slowly down to ~38 degrees (over the course of a day or two?)
Lager for 6-weeks to 6-months depending on style, etc.

Sound about right?

GeoXP said:
OK so I did some searches, and I think I've got it down, but looking for some short-answer checks of my logic. I'm about to embark on my first lager. The process as I understand is as follows.

Create a normal starter - larger is better
Pitch at ~50 degrees
Primary ferment 2-3 weeks at 48-52 degrees Maybe 55F but read the yeast package.
When you're approaching expected FG, taste a sample for buttery popcorn flavoring (diacetyl) and if detected, slowly raise temp about 10-15 degrees for 2 days...then....
Rack off of yeast to secondary
drop temperature of secondary slowly down to ~38 degrees (over the course of a day or two?)
Lager for 6-weeks to 6-months depending on style, etc.

Sound about right?

I inserted some bold text to clarify.

GeoXP said:
Sound about right?
More like a week or two.
In order to avoid shocking the yeast I would recomend lowering the temp no more then 2 degrees per day. You could ultimately take it down to 32f and still be fine.

I've had no problems dropping the temperature by 5F each day. I turn it down two or three degrees in the morning when I am about to head out for work, and then another two or three degrees at night. So far, so good.

TL

jesse said:
i would hold it in primary for more like 4-5 weeks.

That's what I do and then to the keg and lager. This gives time for the yeast to clean up diacetyl etc.

Right on. The diacetyl rest (warming for two days) is meant to kinda rush the yeast along to do the same cleanup that they'd normally do if you left them alone for an extra two weeks if you're patient enough. I haven't read anything that claims either way is better.

Latest posts

Back