Pliny Clone, low FG with S05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
I was a little surprised when my 6 gallon Pliny clone went from 1.074 to about 1.010-1.011. I used two packets of S05. The recipe did contain 1.5 pounds of cane sugar. My recipes I am referencing say it would finish around 1.017. I am not complaining, dryer and more alcohol. I have tasted it although the bottles are still carbing and it tastes amazing so its not infected or anything. Just wondering if this is typical or if I just had some super s05.

Pliny clones are supposed to finish low. It sould be a good beer. When I did mine I used 001 with a big starter and reached 1.011 I remember only using 1lbs of dextrose though.

*pliny is a really dry beer

Check out the FG, you're right on.

468d_2a62.jpg

Funny, I used the same except recipe and after 9 days, I don't seem to be able to get below 1.022. I used 05 that was washed and on a stir plate for 36 hours (2 liters) and I aerated the crap out of it.

Back