Started to get frustrated...need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
OK so I am coming up to my 100th batch and now I have hit a wall.

My last 6 batches have not hit there FG, every single one (Fat Tire Clone, Wit, Amber Ale, English Bitter, Cream Ale and ESB)

Everyone no matter what the OG was, stops at 1.024 on the dot! I am pitching at the right temp and also letting them primary for 8-10 days and secondary for at least a 2 weeks and no matter what they measure at 1.024.

Conditions:
Half of the batches are extract and half are AG
Pitching at 70-75 degrees
Using smack packs that swell for at least 3+ hours
Ferm temp is between 62 and 72

Can someone please tell me what the hell is wrong!

The only thing different in my brewing is that I am now using a refractometer and not a hydrometer as I broke mine. I have calibrated the refractometer before every batch an I always use it to test my OG which I hit farily close compared to what Beersmith tells me it should be at. Can it be the refractometer not giving me the right results?

Based on Beersmith and always hitting 1.024 I should be drinking 3% ABV beer with these results, but I can tell you that they are NOT 3% ABV beers...some of them I can only handle 3-4 pints and I can feel a solid buzz...I am no lightweight drinker by the way.

What am I doing wrong??? :mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys/gals :mug:

Are you adjusting the refractometer for the etoh content in the solution?
My guess is the fg is skewed. Maybe you're not doing anything wrong at all. :drunk:

I would spend 8 bucks on a new Hydrometer and compare it to the results your getting from the refractometer. Sound like a calibration error in the refract rather than a low ABV to me. But I am no expert by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt too.

Wheelchair Bob

Oh for christ sake...I looked on the site for refractometer just now and it says

"A Refractometer will not give an accurate reading after fermentation has begun."

God I feel stupid getting all worked up for nothing...I guess I should learn the tools before I start using them.

Are you adjusting the refractometer for the etoh content in the solution?
My guess is the fg is skewed. Maybe you're not doing anything wrong at all. :drunk:

I just seen this on the website for the refractometer...it has the online calculator also...thanks for the tip!

You're talking about the FG. OG is the gravity before pitching yeast and after the boil. You can measure OG with a refractometer, but you need a hydrometer to measure FG as there is no reliable way to compensate for the effect of the alcohol on the FG when measuring with a refractometer.

You're talking about the FG. OG is the gravity before pitching yeast and after the boil. You can measure OG with a refractometer, but you need a hydrometer to measure FG as there is no reliable way to compensate for the effect of the alcohol on the FG when measuring with a refractometer.

Hmmm...according to this site you can measure FG with it..just takes some calculations using Brix

http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html#monitorferment

here is another site

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

You can try and back calculate, but it can't be accurate. After all, is the RI changing because the sugar content has dropped or because the alcohol content has increased? There are multiple combinations of sugar/alcohol which will give you the same RI.

Grab a hydrometer from your LHBS and all will be well.

8-10 days in primary? Maybe your FG is hanging around 1.024 because 8-10 days isn't enough. I'd wait 3 weeks...but that's just me.

8-10 days in primary? Maybe your FG is hanging around 1.024 because 8-10 days isn't enough. I'd wait 3 weeks...but that's just me.

Good point, he's transferring to secondary at 8-10 days then secondary for 2 weeks. More time on the yeast cake would help.
I've found the refractometer correction calculators accurate vs. hydrometer, but hydrometers are the gold standard for post fermentation gravity.

It's probably just you. 8-10 days is plenty of time for the yeast to ferment an average gravity ale. 21 days is overkill

The problem with the refractometer and fg is that it is just not accurate. The alcohol in solution screws up the readings. No matter how to try and convert, it just isn't accurate.

Back