American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like so many others on this thread, I chose Haus Pale Ale as my first AG. As it sits in the fermenter, I wonder why I never did this before. I read so much of this forum beforehand that I hardly needed any software/directions.

Fordzilla said:
As much as I hate to mess with a recipe the first time I brew it....my LHBS has whole leaf Centennial hops in stock right now. How would this take to dry hopping with 2 oz of Centennial?

I just bottled my first dry hopped beer (EdWort's Stone IPA clone) last night and man it smelled delicious. I want to keep that deliciousness going onto this batch!

IMO it would taste amazing!

I've been cold crashing this for the last 72 hours. Just took a hydro sample. I started at 1.052, FG of 1.010. I ended up mashing around 150.

Hydro sample tastes great! Going to be kegging this and a Two Hearted clone tonight.

For the first time EVER, all 4 of my kegs will be filled and online. Today is a good day my friends.

Pale on the right. IPA on the left

And on deck hooked up to gas in the ferm chamber.

image-1835704017.jpg

image-142835065.jpg

Drinking this now and I must say, I'm impressed. I have looked at this recipe for at least two years and always thought it seemed too simple and boring. Well I finally decided to see what all the hype was about and it turns out it is well deserved.
This beer is so good even my wife (who totally despises anything with a hint of hop flavor) loves it. And the best part is this beer actually has a decent hop profile for a pale ale. It is just so well balanced and drinkable that she doesn't even notice it. Looks like I'll be keeping a keg of this on tap from now on!

This beer has now become a staple at my house. I dry hop with an ounce of cascades as well. Once it leaves primary, I brew it again.

Love this beer. However I changed this one up a little. I dropped the 30 minute addition, and added 1/2 ounce of citra at 10 and flame out also. 1 ounce dry hop.
I love citra an it matched very well with this beer. The aroma and flavor are amazing. It is still very smooth and extremely drinkable. I am a fairly new brewer and this makes a great base apa that I can play with.

Chalk me up for 5 gallons of Haus Pale Ale. Not my first All-Grain, but I am working on getting the process down. I figured this recipe would give me an enjoyable beer and keep it simple. Very nice results, and only 3 weeks bottled. My wife, who usually despises beer, even enjoyed her sip. Now I'm making her a believer! This recipe provides a nice base to experiment off of, so I can't wait to start making variations but I will definitely keep this recipe around to enjoy again.

Chalk me up for 5 gallons of Haus Pale Ale. Not my first All-Grain, but I am working on getting the process down. I figured this recipe would give me an enjoyable beer and keep it simple. Very nice results, and only 3 weeks bottled. My wife, who usually despises beer, even enjoyed her sip. Now I'm making her a believer! This recipe provides a nice base to experiment off of, so I can't wait to start making variations but I will definitely keep this recipe around to enjoy again.

+1 in general; my first is in primary, kegging next Monday! :mug:

I brewed another batch of this back on Jan 20. I put it in to cold crash on the 31st and took the day off today to keg it.

Just brewed it today, except I used Simcoe, moved the hop additions a bit later (same IBUs though) and used Conan yeast (cultured from Heady Topper.) Everything went very smoothly. Such a simple, beautiful recipe.

tarikapak said:
Looks perfect, tastes perfect!

Used munich instead of vienna, and MO instead of 2-row. And my crystal's a little darker.

I've brewed this exactly per the recipe. Your variation sounds excellent!

I brewed this on Sunday but instead of using 0.5# of Crystal 10, I used 1# of Crystal 40 (wanted to use grains I already had on hand).

Still bubbling away every few seconds at ~69 degrees. Cannot wait to try this.

Dang, I must have missed on my hops or something. I've brewed this a few times before and loved it. This one is not sickeningly sweet, but it definitely lacks hop character and it will only get worse as it ages. I think I may have to build a randall or something to get some hop character into it. Anybody have a suggestion for some quick n easy hoppiness?

edit:
After thinking about it, I'm just going to dry hop the keg...duh. Of course I'll use a bag.

Like all good things, this recipe seems to lend itself well to modification. The original product is great in and of itself but the quantities are what make it perfect in my eyes. While it may change the character a hell of a lot I've been really happy with changing out the Vienna with Biscuit/Victory and the hops to Bushel Basket Mishmash (the point at which the grown hops I have in the yard piss me off and I just throw it all in the same container, god help me on the IBUs but noone's perfect...). I find that for the amount I just throw it in til I like the look of it and roll with it.

Thanks again Ed. :) If you're angry I blame Jamil. :)

Thinking about doing this in extract soon, however AHS only sells lme in whole weight, and i would be left with 1/2 lb of each lme left over.

Would there be big difference using 6lb of extra pale lme, and 2lb of munich lme, instead of the original quantitys?

Original:
6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

thanks,
lg

Thinking about doing this in extract soon, however AHS only sells lme in whole weight, and i would be left with 1/2 lb of each lme left over.

Would there be big difference using 6lb of extra pale lme, and 2lb of munich lme, instead of the original quantitys?

Original:
6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

thanks,
lg

Why don't you just buy DME? You can save your leftovers that way, won't have to worry about it.

Did you ever try this hopschedule? If so, how did it turn out? The cascade I am getting from my LHBS is 3.2%. I brewed the original on Friday and used Brewsmith to get my numbers right. I want to brew it again this weekend, but get away from cascade until I can get some with higher alphas. I also really want to try simcoe.

Want to make this but switch up the hops because it's what I have on hand. Does this hop schedule seem alright for this type of beer?

.5 oz (12.4%)simcoe (60)
.25 oz simcoe (30)
.25 oz(8.2%) amarillo (30)
.125 oz simcoe (15)
.125 oz amarillo (15)
.25 oz amarillo (5)

TreetopVT said:
Did you ever try this hopschedule? If so, how did it turn out? The cascade I am getting from my LHBS is 3.2%. I brewed the original on Friday and used Brewsmith to get my numbers right. I want to brew it again this weekend, but get away from cascade until I can get some with higher alphas. I also really want to try simcoe.

I like it. I think I scaled it down more from that post because you will end up with more ibu's than the original. Next time I will do some dry hopping also with these two hops. These two hops I think work well together.

I dry hopped mine with 1/2oz Simcoe and it was aaaaammmaaaazzzziinnng

I wanna brew this with all mosaic instead of cascades...would anyone who's familiar with mosaic advise against that? I've tried a sample with mosiac in it at my LHBS, and it was mighty tasty. I was also thinking of adding another ounce of it too. I don't know enough about when to add it to the boil to get what i want without over doing it.

Right now I'm drinking a Mosaic Pale Ale that I brewed and am about to keg a batch of Edwort's Haus Pale in a couple days, so I'll be able to give you a better idea in about a week. As of now, the mosaic isn't too bad. I think it is more of a piney flavor than the cascade (which I think tends to be more citrus, right?) From what my LHBS said, Mosaic is closely related to Simcoe, so I think piney would be expected. They had a Mosaic IPA on tap which was pretty good too.

Just brewed this as my first all grain batch. I lost quite a bit of temp throughout the mash but somehow hit 1.052 after all was said and done. Mixed up the hop schedule on mine for fun.

60 min 1 oz northern discovery (local wild hop)
30 min .5 oz Cascade
15 min .25 oz Cascade
5 min .25 oz Cascade
0 min 1 oz Cascade
0 min 1 oz Motueka

Hopefully it turns out good, was really surprised with how light colored the wort was.

Just brewed this as my first all grain batch. I lost quite a bit of temp throughout the mash but somehow hit 1.052 after all was said and done. Mixed up the hop schedule on mine for fun.

60 min 1 oz northern discovery (local wild hop)
30 min .5 oz Cascade
15 min .25 oz Cascade
5 min .25 oz Cascade
0 min 1 oz Cascade
0 min 1 oz Motueka

Hopefully it turns out good, was really surprised with how light colored the wort was.

Low mash temp shouldn't affect your gravity pre/post boil but instead will make your beer finish lower in gravity after fermentation. So you'll end with a dryer beer.

I just finished my 3rd batch of this stuff, it's all I've been brewing since January! Everyone who has tried it, pretty much loves it. I switched up the hops on mine too...all mosaic.

.3oz @60min
.2oz @30min
.5oz @20min
.5oz @10min
.5oz @2min

I'm think I wanna dry hop with another ounce too. Ill let you all know how it turns out!

image-829974932.jpg

Back