Brewing outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber8302

Reaction score
I am planning my first batch and I want to do the boiling on my propane burner and cooling with a wort chiller on my back porch. Then I want to take it to the basement for transferring to my primary fermenter. Does anyone think that is a bad idea?

Seems like it would be easier to transfer to your fermenter on the back patio then just carry the fermenter down to the basement. Thats the way I do it at least.

I only brew outside, on the driveway in good weather, in the garage in the winter with the door partially open. I've never had any issues with any part of the process,save for maybe a falling leaf or several in the fall!

Like duboman, I brew in the garage during winters here in MI. When I'm done and the wort is cooled I load the kettle into my wagon, wheel it it to the back door and carry it in. Everything else is done indoors.

Jeffinn said:
Like duboman, I brew in the garage during winters here in MI. When I'm done and the wort is cooled I load the kettle into my wagon, wheel it it to the back door and carry it in. Everything else is done indoors.

Actually, I basically do EVERYTHING outside from set up to clean up, the only things that go back inside are the full primary, blow off rig, and the empty flask from the starter-everything else gets stored on my brew rig in the garage.

Mash, brew, cool and pitch outdoors. Then carry the bucket indoors to ferment.

Thanks everyone! I will have the rest of my supplies this week and plan on brewing my first batch soon after. It does make a lot more sense to do everything outside and just move the fermentation bucket inside.

I am planning my first batch and I want to do the boiling on my propane burner and cooling with a wort chiller on my back porch. Then I want to take it to the basement for transferring to my primary fermenter. Does anyone think that is a bad idea?

Yea do the transfer outside. Much easier to clean up if you spill some. Wife will kill you if you spill some on the way to the basement. LOL

Back