Multiple SMaSH IPA batches to learn hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using multiple small (1-gal) batches of SMaH IPA's (IPA primarily because it will emphasize the hops, but also because I love IPA's) to learn about various hops varieties.

I'm planning on using 2 lbs of Munton Light DME per batch because they've confirmed it's a single-malt extract. Is that too much? I'm planning around a single ounce of hops per batch (since they're generally packaged that way), though I may adjust based on AA%.

Any suggestions on what hops to try?

Just off the top of my head: Centennial, Amarillo, Chinook, EKG (if you are interested in British IPAs), Simcoe, Citra ... Where do I stop? Galaxy, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Sorachi Ace.

If I were ambitious - and I think you are - I'd go the the recipe section, and tabulate the hops used in the top 10 or 15 recipes there. Then try the top 5. Something like that. Keep us posted on the results! I love the scientific approach.

A while back, I toyed with the idea of a similar experiment, but SWASH instead of SMASH - the 'W' being wort. Use a typical IPA grainbill and divide it up. I didn't see the point of limiting myself to a naked grainbill if I was testing hops. But that's just me.

Cheers!

Damnit, you out-scientificked me. I was thinking of a somewhat similar approach in deciding what hops to grow--my dad grows Cascade and has offered me enough rhizome to get me started, and I was thinking of finding another common/popular IPA hop to plant as well.

SWaSH would certainly work just as well for testing hops, especially since I'm not switching up the malt at all. But then I couldn't really call the resultant beers "Hulk SMaSH!", could I? Not in good conscience. A line of SWaSHbuckler IPA's could be in the making, though...

I'm planning on using 2 lbs of Munton Light DME per batch because they've confirmed it's a single-malt extract.

So many hops, such little time :rockin: I wish you luck with your experiment... I'm curious about where you found this information re: Muntons LDME. I was always under the impression that there was a touch of cara even in the lightest extracts.

Somewhere on these forums, I think. Most extracts are mixes, but somebody apparently contacted Munton because they thought their LDME was a single malt, and posted a response from them that it was. I'll see if I can find it again.

I did 7 x 2gallon batches of single hop IPAs. Named them after the 7 Dwarfs. Grain bill was 85% 2 Row, 6% Munich, 5% Crystal 15L, 4% Crystal 45L.

No reason why SMaSH wouldn't work just as well. For me, since I had 14 gallons of IPAs to drink I wanted to make sure they had enough malt complexity to keep me interested.

I did the following hops:
Columbus
Centennial
Amarillo
Simcoe
Summit
Nugget
Chinook

I thought that Summit and Simcoe came out the best - specifically they both had citrus/pine balance that I expect in an IPA. For me, Amarillo and Nugget were a little *weird* - very fruity, almost wine-like. YMMV.

I did identical 20min, 10min, 5min, FO, and dryhop additions and then adjusted the 60 min additions so that all were at the same IBUs. I purposefully chose hops that were all around the same AA% so that I could get the same IBUs without huge differences in the amount of hop matter in the beer (since I thought that could influence how I perceived the hoppiness).

It was a fun experiment that I would recommend to any brewer. Have fun.

I did think for about 8 batches in a row. Not really a smash but a simply pale ale recipe with only late hop additions to bring out the hops. Really a great learning experience. I still do it time to time. I just order a few New Zealand hops and will do it again with each to see how I will use them in my Southern Hemisphere ale

From a practical standpoint, how do you handle small (1-gal) batches? One of the reasons I chose an IPA is because I can use a full ounce of hops in a single gallon, and I can vacuum-seal the DME, but what about the yeast? Do you just pitch an envelope of dry yeast in each, or make up a starter and divide it by five and brew every day until you're done, or what?

From a practical standpoint, how do you handle small (1-gal) batches? One of the reasons I chose an IPA is because I can use a full ounce of hops in a single gallon, and I can vacuum-seal the DME, but what about the yeast? Do you just pitch an envelope of dry yeast in each, or make up a starter and divide it by five and brew every day until you're done, or what?

double batch brew days or save the yeast for next week's brew

I'm doing it the other way round and seeing what effect the DME has - started with a mix of ELDME & LDME, and then trying the (virtually) same recipe with amber DME.

I'm doing IPA too, cos I love the flavour.

Can I point you in the direction of Bramling Cross for finishing hops, I've used a combination of these and Cascade (for bittering) and the flavour is beautiful. You can smell the input of the flavouring hops immediately. I've gone so far as to order some for my allotment (along with Fuggles).

I may go back to the original recipe once the amber brew is done, and have a play with some heavier bittering hops (than the Cascade), see what that does, and then try a couple of different types of finishing hops in combination.

I'm still doing 5 gallon batches though - I'm persuading the missus it's all in the cause of good science :p

I harvested slurry from a previous batch and used Mr. Malty to pitch appropriate amounts into my 2 gallon batches. You could do the same thing with a large starter.

This is an episode of Wisconsin Foodie, of the New Glarus brewery. Near the end, the owner is testing hops. He pours pre-made wort from a carboy into six 2L flasks, adds the six hops to be tested pre-boil, then adds more hops later in the boil.

He is shooting for only one bottle for each hop sample.

http://video.wpt2.org/video/2304638469/

Unfortunately I can't do that, since I intend to use only one hop, including as a bittering hop.

Back