How to Wax Belgian Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice...

I wanted to seal some of my belgian beer bottles w/wax. How would I go about doing this?

Should I make sure the cork is a bit recessed, then fill in the excess space w/wax while sealing? Someone said to place the wire hood on the bottle after corking then waxing??? Sounds a bit cumbersome if you ask me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Fredo

+1 to no wax on a Belgian 750 with cork and cage.

If you are using wine corks, that go all the way into the bottle, I see no issue with waxing them though.

ok, so I may try the belgian bottle w/cork only, then wax...We'll see how it goes. Tks again.

Without the cage, a cork only partially in the neck of the bottle may push out due to pressure.

Without the cage, a cork only partially in the neck of the bottle may push out due to pressure.

Exactly.

I see no purpose in covering an awesome looking caged bottle with wax. Wax over a cage will make little bits of wax all over.

Makers Mark "wax" is actually plastic for that very reason.

Again, you probably NEED the cage, and the wax is purely for looks. The 2 never go together.

Back