My amazingly bad brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwizard0

Reaction score
First of all, SWMBO hates beer. So I have no where to vent when things go bad, so sorry fellow HBTers, but you have to hear my vent. On a good note, if you dont want to hear me vent you can just click back on your browser and i wont event know. Now, on to my story....

It has been a while since I have brewed. Almost a year to be exact. Not because I didn't want to, but for some reason the Air Force doesnt want us brewing/drinking in the desert. Something about being culturaly sensitive I guess. Any who, today was going to break my streak of no brewing. The last time I brewed, I added a valve to my kettle so I could use my new plate chiller but when i put it in there was a really small leak (like 1 drop every 5 minutes). Not too bad, but I wanted it fixed. So I was looking at Kal's electric brewery and used his examples of how to install the valves and figured I could make it water tight. This is what started the bad brew day. While tightening the valve, I broke the O-ring. And of course, my small town doesnt sell them anywhere. I was able to find one at lowes, but it wasnt high temp. I bought it anyways and decided to take the one off my round cooler HLT and swap it to the brew kettle and put the low temp one on the HLT. Sweet, it worked and I can continue brewing.

Mashing/Sparging go uneventful, but when I start the boil and getting my hops ready, I bust the bag open like I was Hercules and they go all over the place. I didnt lose a whole lot, so I figure I will be ok. During the boil, I have 2 HUGE boil overs so I know I am going to have a big cleanup afterwards. After the boil, I set the plate chiller up and have the hose running to the yard since it needs to be watered anyways. About 3/4 of the way into the chill I decide to move the hose so I can water another area. Bad move! As I move the hose, it pulls the chiller off the shelf, which pulls the boil kettle off the rack boiling wort goes everywhere. I lost about 1.5-2 gallons! Thats was far worst that having that boiling wort splash on my legs (I have nice burn marks down my legs, but the loss of beer is far worse). To top it off, I have no idea where my thermometer is. To be honest, im sure its in my fermenter because its the only place it could be.

Ok, I have some wort cooled and ready to be pitched. I go to get my starter out...wait, I forgot to do one. I guess its been to long since I brewed!

The only really good thing that came out of this was that SWMBO said that I really need to upgrade my setup so that I dont fling boiling wort all over the place. I think that means that I can get some march pumps instead of using gravity like I have been.

The End.

I haven't brewed in a month. Not surprisingly, I had cobwebs to shake off...about 1/12th the scale of yours.

But more importantly....what beer did you decide to brew to break the yearlong sabbatical?

Yooper, that is the truth. Plus it was so bad I'm going to have to do another one soon to make up for it.

The brew is a porter, nothing special. I'm sure it will still be delicious. I would RElax and have a homebrew, but since I don't have any I will just have some commercial brew and relax.

mrwizard0 said:
Yooper, that is the truth. Plus it was so bad I'm going to have to do another one soon to make up for it.

The brew is a porter, nothing special. I'm sure it will still be delicious. I would RElax and have a homebrew, but since I don't have any I will just have some commercial brew and relax.

MrWizard....I shall have my next pint in your honor for yout fallen bothers, fallen beer batch, and for you service. Thank you for your service so that I may brew beer!

Bummer day, man! Hope you're OK, and welcome home from the sand trap (God forsaken place; IMHO, of course).

Been there, done that, don't wanna ever go back.

Cheers! :mug:

The only really good thing that came out of this was that SWMBO said that I really need to upgrade my setup so that I dont fling boiling wort all over the place. I think that means that I can get some march pumps instead of using gravity like I have been.

The End.

After I poured hot wort on the kitchen floor and under all the appliances, my wife told me to build my single tier. I have since been accused of doing it on purpose to get the upgrade. It just proves the old adage; Mess up to move up.

Mrwizard, THANK YOU for your service to our country. Hope your next brewday goes better.

I feel your agony my friend. I tried my hand at my first all grain and ran into issue after issue, this and that. Out of 6 gallons of water,i achieved about 3 gallons of fermentable wort. My mash tun felt the need to hold onto a lot of water and not drain (gotta love the gurgling sound. Ended up getting way too much grain in my wort and clogged the home made false bottom. Had to stick my hand in the cooled wort to wipe off the filter, that only took 30 minutes extra. But like you said, mess up to move up. Now I have a much better manifold design in the mash tun and working on a new false bottom for the keggle.

My first all grain brew day, I had the mash tun on a faulty table. Imagine the explosion as pounds of hot grain and water slammed against the floor before ending up on the ceiling, the walls, the windows, the curtains. I had burns all over my torso.

Thanks for all the kind words and the appreciation for my service, it's always good to know people care.

I don't know why, but it always feels good when others know my brewing pain. Maja I think you may have had it worse than me. Mine was outside so at least the mess was easy to clean up

Here is what the pattern looks like: screw up, screw up, screw up, screw up less, screw up very little, screw up hardly at all. Notice there was no perfect brew day with 0 mistakes. Yep we have all been there. Takes about 10 batches to really get it nailed down. Keep at it! Cheers! 17!

Back