Other hobbies besides brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spelunking! j/k

I shoot, snowboard, fish, hunt, do lots of photography, play a little guitar, paintball, and play video games...

I'm unemployed at the moment, so hobbies are about the only thing keeping my brain going!

I race Dirt Modifieds all summer and a bunch of other stuff. My racing takes up all my time. I worked for Richard Petty full time for 5 years as a driving instructor so i keep busy with motorsports. Anything that goes fast I'm all about it. Hell I'll race anything with wheels and some without. If anyones racing fans hit my race teams Facebook page up under Henderson Racing HR3.

Rock climbing, road biking, trail running, surfing, photography, scuba diving, backpacking.

I am a wet shaver, which has led me to collect and restore straight razors. I suppose lifting weights and running are hobbies for me too, though they seem to have integrated into my life so much as to move past the term 'hobby'.

Wig said:
I am a wet shaver, which has led me to collect and restore straight razors. I suppose lifting weights and running are hobbies for me too, though they seem to have integrated into my life so much as to move past the term 'hobby'.

Wet shaver?

I tend to get obsessed with stuff then back away from it for a while then come back to it. Its brewing right now but in the past aquariums ( I have 9) guns and shooting, vintage stereo and music, old cameras, cooking and smoking meat thats what turned me on to brewing, I want to plant a vegetable garden this summer and maybe can some of the results, plus I research the sh*t out of everything I buy so that takes up a lot of my time.

You name it, I'm into it pretty much.. My major ones are:
-Photography
-Fishing
-Autocross
-Cars in general
-Call of Duty
-Smoking meat

I also tend to get overly involved (get excited) and then once I have everything I stop doing whatever it is I just spent a ton of money on. This year was my second year ice fishing. Bought a brand new auger and portable shanty and used it twice.

Wet shaver?

Well, typically it is what is sounds like. Someone who uses a blade, water and a lubricant to shave. I got used to the term as I got into using a straight razor, so I use it in that context, as someone who uses a straight (or double edge) razor. Old school shaving.

Well, typically it is what is sounds like. Someone who uses a blade, water and a lubricant to shave. I got used to the term as I got into using a straight razor, so I use it in that context, as someone who uses a straight (or double edge) razor. Old school shaving.

I wasn't going to explain it to the person... :D

I've always used the 'wet' method for shaving (use the Fusion razer now)... I also have too much area to shave to go with a straight razor... All I need is to clip an ear and it's all over (well, or I'll have to explain why one ear is shorter than the other to everyone)... :D

BTW, I just shave above the neck line... :ban:

USC Football, surfing, backpacking/survival techniques, science fiction, Warhammer 40,000, beer pong, metal working, volleyball (indoor and beach)

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis. And I brew.

passedpawn said:
I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis. And I brew.

Sounds familiar, almost as if you have tigerblood pulsing through your veins...

Sounds familiar, almost as if you have tigerblood pulsing through your veins...

I've disemboweled a live tiger for research... only to restore it to full health later. I'm ecologically aware. I move through jungle canopies removing non-indigenous species with a pair of garden shears, hanging from nothing but duct tape and knitting yarn.

SWMBO also says I have too many hobbies. But, that said, she is always very supportive. Wants me to have a good time.

I hike, snowshoe, camp, roast coffee, shoot and develop my own black and white pictures, play and sing in a band (harmonica and banjo), canoe and kayak, and bike. Life is good.

You must be the long lost love-child of MacGyver and Jonathon Goldsmith (Dos XX most interesting man in the world). I will assume that although he did not have a hand in your conception, I feel Chuck Norris and the Old Spice guy were probably present. Let me know if I'm close.

BUT.....hobbies.....gaming, hockey (playing, coaching, and watching), RC Helicopters, and motorcycles. I feel like I'm missing something though......oh yea, brewing!

Man, was that me posting last night? I've got to stay away from this forum when drinking. Seriously. Gawd.

Here's a picture of the butterfly collection and what's left of the sea turtle (see skull top of pic). I don't have the Miami Blue (Hemiargus thomasi) because I let it go after the rescue :)

IMG_0043_2.jpg

Neat, I was wondering what people who homebrew enjoy doing otherwise. A lot of my activities lately are forced because of lack of energy from swing-shift working. Lately in order of preference.

I enjoy trolling yahoo news comments section trying to force people to think opposite of their current opinion.
I enjoy floating around the pool with my children around me.
I love clearing back the overgrowth that surrounds my property. It's become quite a battle.
Growing vegetables and fruits.
Cooking pizza, though this has mellowed some in the summer heat.
Playing guitar, mainly classical fingerpicking on the acoustic, or 80's metal on the electric.
Call of Duty
Building electronic circuits and gadgets
Programming
archery
concerts
volunteering at the firehouse
cheese and breadmaking

In a more perfect world (not working nearly as much) my ideal hobbies would be:
Golf - At least 2x a week
Dining out
flying, water skiing, scuba diving, downhill sking, hiking, camping, hunting
song writing

Some things I haven't tried, but would like to explore more:
Writing, coffee roasting, foreign cultures, computer hacking, canning, 3d printing, photoshopping and video editing, off the grid living, go to college

I mountain bike, snowboard, ski, rock climb, ice climb, kayak, SUP, disc golf, hike, tent, I build jeeps, work on my camaro, garden, fish, bbq. I like to stay busy.

Its seasonable but I make maple syrup in the early spring here in PA. love doing it beeb makibg for 5 years now. Its how I learned to read a hydrimeter! Fun stuff. Other than that I hunt and fish! But mostly spend time with my children.

Scrimshaw... I do this on Elk, Deer and Moose antler. I also Make black powder horns. Sometimes I spend over 100 hours on a piece, This is what gives me the patience to do decoction mashes.

I run a vinyl record label, make techno music, fishing, shooting, horse riding, horse training and now brewing!

I run a vinyl record label, make techno music, fishing, shooting, horse riding, horse training and now brewing!

Ahh nice! I hope you can share info on the label you manage. Dubstep?
Even at 42 I still snowboard, longboard and try to see live music. Trying to finish the lower level of my home but not sure if it counts as a hobby. Fishing the Columbia River for steelehead and chinook. Installing and tweaking Linux on the desktop.

Back