sealing beer bottles with wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtduffy

Reaction score
I want to use wax on on vanilla bourbon stout im bottling today, like how a Makers Mark bottle looks. But locally I can't get the wine wax pellets. Do you think candle wax from a craft store would work or should I just order the pellets online and wait?

There's a thread on here where a guy came up with the right formula, the right combination of red crayons and glue gun glue sticks...I'll try to find the link.

I have tried paraffin wax as well as melted candle wax. It's too brittle for sealing. In contrast, the wax beads sold at Austin Homebrew work perfectly. The hot glue and crayons option seems like a much better idea.

You can use a company out in Boston area , they make small to large batches for distilleries, all sorts of colors, think there name is reed wax

Back from the dead, this thread emerges...

Last winter I sealed up a bunch of high ABV beer bottles and wine bottles using red crayons and hot glue sticks. Worked well actually. The smell of it melting, not so much.

Back