Adding Fruit to a Kriek Before Pellicle Drops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
This was my first lambic, and thus obviously my first kriek. I brewed it back on 7/1/08. It's had a healthy, furry 1/2" pellicle for the better part of a year, and there's been essentially no visual change in it. Now that we're 13 months out, I'm thinking it might be time to add the cherry puree (from Oregon Puree). What do you think? I don't have to wait for the damn pellicle to drop, do I? I've heard of people's pellicles never dropping, so who knows how long I'd have to wait...

I would add the puree disturbing the pellicle as little as possible. It has been in there for 13 months I am betting that pellicle is so boyant it wont drop at all as there are tiny pockets of air in that bad boy.

Hmm, I added the fruit before the pellicle even formed (2 months after the wort hit the bugs) so no help there. How long are you planning to age on the fruit?

We racked our shares of Flanders at the 12 month mark and the pellicle was still intact. No, I wasn't going to wait because the beer was amazing and ready to be quaffed.

well, Ohiobrewtus dropped by today on his way thru town and we took a sample to try...total badassedness. I don't think I'm gonna even worry about the fruit on this. The base lambic is too good by itself.

Glad to hear about its awesomeness.

I always read the same type of stuff on the Burgundian website about the pellicle dropping, but the brett beer I have going (16 months now), like your lambic, shows no sign of that pellicle falling (I did just move it, disturbing the pellicle, but I expect it to reform, but going to finally bottle it soon anyway).

Back