Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here on the Notty. Basically it was screamin for 24 hours (94 bubbles per min) and now is slow (12 bubbles per min) The brew is only 48 hours old. Is this common for Notty? I rehydrated the yeast as always.

Yes...I had a krausen rise & drop within 48 hours on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale with Notty...definately odd but I was assured it was par for the course. It goes like gangbusters than peters out rather quickly.

I made the extract version and found it plain/a bit low hopped on testing it 6 weeks after bottling - and then when I dumped the whole bottle into the beer glass, including the bit of yeast on the bottom of the bottle, it is very tasty. The bottom yeast balances it out.

Very good.

I have one batch in keg carbing, and another in bottles. This stuff is crystal clear. I can't wait to try it!

I'm just about done with a keg of this. I originally brewed it so I would have something on tap for relatives who drink light beer. They didn't get to try it yet because I found that I like it quite a bit. It's a great beer for boating or while working around the yard. I really didn't expect to like it and didn't plan to drink it myself. I'm doing this one for my first 10 gallon batch sometime this week. I think it will go over well at a 4th of July party we are having.

I also goofed on the recipe and accidentily doubled the first hop addition, it turned out so good I'm planning to make the same "mistake" again.:mug:

Made this recipe and loved it. Took it to a get-together and it didn't score well. One guy seemed to like it, and wanted me to make him a batch. The girls were hesitant to try it (they aren't into anything but light beer, and assume anything I make is not going to be good as the big boys, or is going to be hoppy (guilty usually). But the keg was going flat and not as cold as I would have liked. Even I didn't think it was "great".

Got it back home and got the gas back on it and back in the kegerator and last night tasted again, and it's back to be real good again! It's def. a cold and fizzy style!

Might try a Koelsch next time to compare.

I can't wait to try it. I will go from Primary to keg at the end of 3 weeks. Carb for a week and it will be ready for the 4th. God I hope it is as good as everyone says. I really want SWMBO to like it.

It is the biggest PM that I have done yet. 6.75 lbs of grain.

Brewed this recipe yesterday. I got an OG of 1.044 after diluting the 87% efficient wort to 12 gallons. I had 0.3 oz of Simcoe I added to get my IBUs right. Hopefully that won't screw anything up too badly. I suppose the simcoe may add a piney character that will be undesirable but I thought the citrusy components might be highlighted more with the centennial and cascade hops. They were also a bit old and may have lost some of their aromatic qualities.

Its a nice recipe and was the first time I got to use my keggle. Cheers.

BierMuncher or others who have brewed this. How do you think this would work as a chili beer? I'm going to brew 10 gallons of this on Sunday but I think I want to make 5 gallons of it with peppers either in the secondary or in bottles.

Update: This works EXCELLENT as a chili beer. best chili beer i have ever had

The rice really lightened this beer up. Flaked rice plus the Safe Ale 05 made this a light crisp tasting beer. SWMBO has already ordered another batch. Thanks!

I'm brewing this tomorrow, slightly changed. 90% pale malt, 10% Munich 10L, Hops bill and yeast will be the same, I hope to get close and win over some people who haven't enjoyed my previous brews.

I'm brewing this again on monday. The LHBS was out of all kinds pale malt completely - so i'll be substituting the pale malt with pilsner malt. will be interesting to see how it turns out

This was my first successful AG brew (1.040 OG, 65% efficiency). I brewed on Sunday, and only ended up with about 4.8 gallons in the carboy. The yeast are currently kicking butt with about 1 bubble/sec.

I'm a bit new to kegging/force carbonating too. What is the recommended way to carb this (pressure, temp, duration)? I'd like to have it ready for a cookout on July 4 using BMBF or my 3 gallon keg.

This was my first successful AG brew (1.040 OG, 65% efficiency). I brewed on Sunday, and only ended up with about 4.8 gallons in the carboy. The yeast are currently kicking butt with about 1 bubble/sec.

I'm a bit new to kegging/force carbonating too. What is the recommended way to carb this (pressure, temp, duration)? I'd like to have it ready for a cookout on July 4 using BMBF or my 3 gallon keg.

Once you rack to a keg (keep it 10 days in primary and 3 days in secondary with gelatin), place the (presumably room temp) keg into the chiller and hit it with 30PSI for 48 hours. Drop PSI to serving pressure, bleed excess pressure from keg and taste test. That should get you right there.

If you gas up a chilled keg, drop the time by 12 hours. (Chilled beer carbs faster than room temp)

Once you rack to a keg (keep it 10 days in primary and 3 days in secondary with gelatin), place the (presumably room temp) keg into the chiller and hit it with 30PSI for 48 hours. Drop PSI to serving pressure, bleed excess pressure from keg and taste test. That should get you right there.

If you gas up a chilled keg, drop the time by 12 hours. (Chilled beer carbs faster than room temp)

Thanks!
Can I use the keg as the secondary with the gelatin (but no gas hooked up)... then once the gelatin settles chill the keg and apply pressure?

This is a Great beer. I did a partial mash and it turned out great. The only problem I had was I carbed it in a keg and it was flat when I went to drink it.

I'm new to kegging so I'm not sure I did it right. I kegged and put 30 psi and let it sit for a week. keg still had pressure so I don't think that I had a leak. I did the shake rattle and roll method before people came over so it was fine. I just have to keg more to get a handle on it.

...The only problem I had was I carbed it in a keg and it was flat when I went to drink it.
...I kegged and put 30 psi and let it sit for a week...

30 PSI on a chilled keg for 1 week should have resulted in a highly overcarbonated beer.

If the keg is at room temp and then put in the chiller, 30PSI for 48 hours is my max.

If the keg is already chilled, 36 hours.

Great recipe. This was my first AG brew and it turned out great. Big hit with family & friends.

Thank you again BierMuncher for sharing :)

I did not leave it at 30 psi. I just pressurized it to 30 psi and disconnected the CO2 line and let it sit for a week. Does that make a difference?

I did not leave it at 30 psi. I just pressurized it to 30 psi and disconnected the CO2 line and let it sit for a week. Does that make a difference?

Yeah...huge difference. You essentially added enough gas to fill a 1 inch head space.

Force carbing a keg with a CO2 tank required constant CO2 pressure...so that it can be adequately absorbed into the liquid.

Again, my method is 30PSI (tank on) for 36-48 hours, depending upon the starting temp (chilled or room temp) of the keg.

A lot of folks also like to set it at serving pressure (10-12PSI) and leave it for several weeks.

You definitely leave the gas "on" in order to charge and serve a keg.

I kegged and put 30 psi and let it sit for a week. keg still had pressure so I don't think that I had a leak.

Did you leave the keg on the gas? Putting 30psi on and taking the gas off will not carb your beer.

Did a double brew day and got my hops scheduels mixed. Made a Hop Tea Amber and the Blonde. Just swithced the hops and didn't catch it until they were both in the fermenter!:mad: I'll let you know if a few weeks how a slightly hoppy cascade and amarillo gold schedule affects this batch.

Just brewed this on sunday... Second brew in my new place, the wort looked and tasted great, I can't wait for this beer to be done, looks like it will be a perfect beer to hang out on the porch with in the summer.... If all goes according to plan this could be my house beer that I try to always have on tap and rotate the other two taps... THANKS

I did a partial mash with this but it seems a bit watery after 15 days in primary and kegged for 3 days. Is it too early? Did I do something wrong? My steps are below.

2.5 lbs Extra Light LME
4.00 lbs Pale Malt (2-row) US
.75 lbs Cara Pils/Dextrin
.50 lbs Caramel/Crystal 10 L
.50 lbs Vienna Malt
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Steps:
1. Mashed at 153deg with 2.0 gallons for 60 minutes in RM tun
2. Sparged with 3.5 qts at 170deg
3. Added .5 lbs of Extra Light DME then boiled
4. Added hops on schedule and Whirfloc
5. Addedd 2lbs of DME at flameout
6. OG=1.04
7. FG=1.008

I did a partial mash with this but it seems a bit watery after 15 days in primary and kegged for 3 days. Is it too early? Did I do something wrong? My steps are below.

I also just brewed a partial mash of this today. Won't be able to tell you for several weeks whether it's "watery" as you say. Mouthfeel is apparently a pretty complicated thing, being a lot more than just finishing gravity, so it's hard to say what could be wrong (if anything, really). Your partial-mash adaptation of the recipe looks fine to me, given that you hit the OG right on the money. For comparison, my brew report is below (a bit different than yours, but not significantly, really). It tastes fantastic so far -- thanks for the base recipe, BierMuncher!

[size=+2]Centennial Blonde[/size]
[size=+1]6-B Blonde Ale[/size]
Author: BierMuncher
Date: 6/25/09

Size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 83.0%
Attenuation: 74.9%
Calories: 132.04 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.040 (1.038 - 1.054)
|=========#======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.008 - 1.013)
|==============#=================|
Color: 4.12 (3.0 - 6.0)
|=============#==================|
Alcohol: 3.9% (3.8% - 5.5%)
|========#=======================|
Bitterness: 23.8 (15.0 - 28.0)
|==================#=============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
3.25 lb American 2-row
0.75 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
0.5 lb Caramel Malt 10L
0.5 lb Vienna Malt
0.25 oz Centennial (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 55.0 min
0.25 oz Centennial (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 35.0 min
0.25 oz Cascade (7.1%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.4 lb Dry Light - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
0.25 oz Cascade (7.1%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

[size=+1]Notes[/size]

Heated 2.5 gal of strike water (RO), with 0.5 tsp gypsum added, to 166F, doughed-in, hit 157F, higher than expected (in the past i've gotten a drop of more like 15 deg... must be the new stove). Added several cups of cold RO water, brought temp down to 152F-ish. Mashed for 60 min with towel blanket, final temp was around 150, 151F. Not bad for stove-top. Recipe target was a 150F mash. Heated 2 gal of RO water to 180F, batch sparged for ten minutes at 162F. Had to juggle mash runnings and sparge between kettle and bucket, finished with a bit too much wort for the kettle, filled it as much as possible (3.85 gal), dumped the rest (less than half a gal, maybe a quart). Use less sparge water in the future. Pre-boil wort measured 1.020 apparent gravity at 138F, 1.036 real, which at 3.85 gal implies an efficiency of about 83%. Not bad for stove-top! Based on this efficiency, adjusted the amount of DME (late addition) from planned 1.75 lbs (anticpating ~75% eff.) to 1.4 lbs, in order to maintain 1.040 target OG.[/i]

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

Great recipe, BM!

I made the extract version a few weeks ago, then my MIL and I tried it after it'd been bottled for just over a week (yeah, I know...). She didn't like it, I thought it was good, but a little hoppy.

Wed night, now that it's been in the bottle for nearly 4 weeks, I poured her another. She loved it! It mellowed very nicely, and while it still has enough hop character for me, it's pretty good for most non-IPA types.

I made it hoping to have some for our upcoming July 4th party. I'm doubtful that any will be left. I can't seem to keep my hands off it.

I'm making this again tomorrow for my 2nd AG batch. Can't wait until it's done. I just wish I kegged so I could try it sooner.

Thanks for a great recipe!

BierMuncher, I just wanted to say thanks for a great recipe. I am on my 4th AG, trying to get my process down.
I am brewing my 2nd batch of the Centenial Blonde this weekend. I just purchased my ingredients at my LHBS for $19.50 for the 5gal.

This is the perfect recipe in my opinion for learning the process - simple ingredients, low cost, and a tasty result!

cheers

BierMuncher, I just wanted to say thanks for a great recipe. I am on my 4th AG, trying to get my process down.
I am brewing my 2nd batch of the Centenial Blonde this weekend. I just purchased my ingredients at my LHBS for $19.50 for the 5gal.

This is the perfect recipe in my opinion for learning the process - simple ingredients, low cost, and a tasty result!

cheers
Glad you like it. :mug:

Just wanted to throw this out there, I've done the 10gal All-grain twice, and I'm planning on doing it again tomorrow! Excellent summer beer.

For anyone who wants a variation of the extract version (and actually reads this far)
I put this together for a friend and it tasted AWESOME

4lbs of Light DME
1.3 lbs of Light LME

1/2 lb Caramel 10*L
1/2 lb Vienna 10*L
1/2 lb Carapils
Though Vienna is supposed to be mashed, if you put all those grains in a bag and soak them in 3 qts water @ ~150 for 45 min, then dunk them in 2 qts water @ ~175 for 10 min, the process is very similar to DeathBrewers stove top all-grain method. This adds alot of flavor to the finished beer!

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.25 oz Cascade @ 20
.25 oz Cascade @5

Just my take. I enjoy all-grain more but this is for helping beginners! DME FTW, you get no off flavors when using it.

Your recipes are awesome BierMuncher

Just tried this one out. Nice beer!! Perfect for warm weather and summer. Just wish we would get some .. This will be next to my IPA on the 4th!

I will have to keep this one in the rotation

I found a serious flaw in this recipe. This brew will not last anytime at all at my place. SWMBO and her sister are making this stuff disappear faster than I could imagine. The good thing is I've got the cost for this down to $13.50 for a 5 gal. batch. Good deals at hopsdirect.com and LBHS helps a lot... This is seriously making me consider betting a bigger brewpot and doing some 10 gal. batches.

Been all grain brewing for a while now. Finally decided to see what all the hype was about. Wife needs a good blonde and her friends are all bud light/miller light people so I am usually reduced to drinking my pales, IPA's and stouts myself :D What a drag I know :D Bought the grains today, have all the hops in freezer, gonna use notty for the first time so I am looking forward to brewing this next weekend.

Served this at my 4th party and everyone enjoyed it. No one drank there BMC. Thanks BierMuncher. Also this was my first AG and it came out perfect.

I have to make a modification to the grain bill since my LHBS doesn't keep Crystal 10.. Is Munich malt gonna be a good replacement if it scores at 10L too? Or should I stick with Crystal 40L, lowest Lovibond available..?

Back