First Honey Wheat Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared36

Reaction score
I brewed up a honey wheat beer about 10 days ago from midwest it has 2lbs of honey in it which i added 20 min before the boil was over with. when i took a sample today the smell and taste was a bit odd. does honey wheat beer usually have a strong green flavor and smell to it being as young as it is? (the gravity was around 1.16)

thanks for any advice

Your beer will go through a spectrum of flavours and smells throughout it's life. At the 10 day stage it could very well smell like monkey butt. If you have not had the pleasure of smelling monkey butt, insert imaginative scent here.

I also suspect that your reading was not 1.16, but rather 1.016. Do you know what the orignal reading was?

Honey will ferment out completely, so the fact that this is a honey beer should not affect the finishing gravity.

I would not worry too much, and let the yeast finish up it's job.

:)

10 days? Give it another 20, and it'll taste great- I normally let mine go for a month (more or little less depending on the brew) because of this. Way to early to tell... "Patience is a virtue", but smelling my nut brown ale blow off makes me tempted...

"but smelling my nut brown ale blow off makes me tempted..."

Thats why i asked because the other ales that i have done have always smelled and tasted fairly decent at the 10 day mark. I'm going to let it set for about 2 more weeks and check it again. Thanks for the responses it always helps to get someones views and opinions.

Back