New Chiller works too well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drost

Reaction score
OK, I know this is not much of a "problem" but here it goes...

This last weekend, I used my newly made counterflow chiller. Reading different plans, I see that most chillers are made from about 25 ft of tubing and garden hose.

Seeing this, I thought, 'hey, the more the merrier', so I made mine out of 50 ft of each. My wort came out at a chilly 58 degrees! I continually turned the water down until it was just a trickle, but the wort continued to flow at 58.

Is my chiller simply too long? Has anyone else had this issue? Should I cut it in two and sell the other half to a brewing buddy?

Thanks for your help!

Some times too much is too much and counterflow coolers are very efficient. I'd say cut or get a wort pump.

Don't cut it.
You'll be thanking the gods this summer when the ground water temp rises.

In fact, think about making another 25 foot chiller for a pre-chiller.

Dude said:
Don't cut it.
You'll be thanking the gods this summer when the ground water temp rises.

In fact, think about making another 25 foot chiller for a pre-chiller.

I think I'll try it out a couple of more times just in case. I was amazed how well it worked! I wish I would have made it years ago!

FREEZE JACK! don't be cuttin nuttin bro. just don't chill for so long. in the dead of summer like dude said - you'll be thankful for the time. and if you ever step up to ten gallon batches - it will serve you well then too.

imchilla1.jpg
http://www.madawg.net/pix/imchilla1.jpg

I don't see 58F being that much of a problem. You can easily pitch the yeast and let it warm up to fermentation temps. In fact, for Hefeweizens, the suggested procedure is that the pitching temp + fermentation temp = 30C. So if you were going to ferment at 18C, you should pitch at 12C.

I also agree with Dude...once it gets hot you'll be very happy with it.

Guys,

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. I am doing 10 gallon batches now, so I expected the output to get warmer as I cooled, but it didn't.

David_42 mentioned a wort pump. Does anyone have suggestions to models to purchase?

Back