Wow beer really does improve with age!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Just home from work, had a bottle of "BrewTec Brown Ale" can kit bottled for 4 weeks. Was pretty nice, with a slight yeasty taste. Probably as good as the major commercial (weak flavourless) beers in NZ... maybe.

I followed that one up with a "Coopers Lager Can kit" that was 7 weeks in the bottle. WOW! The yeasty after taste that was there after 4 weeks has gone! Its not perfect by any means but considering this batch was only in primary for 4 days then bottled.. not to shabby! A lot cleaner tasting then it was for sure. Only 1 bottle left to save now.... hmmm

I am just coming to grips with the fact that the longer you let it set, the better the end result. Aging definately helps the taste and clarity of the beer.

I just get impatent and want to try the beer.... I've got a Scotish Wee Heavy that has been in the bottle for 5 weeks now, got three more before I give it a try... probably longer after that because it's such a heavy beer... but I've brewed enough that my beer closet is stocked pretty well, so it's easier to wait when you have other homebrews to drink!!

I'm finding that out as well.....my first batch which was a mr beer. tasted nasty after the 2 week priming period but i just couldn't wait. last night i cracked another to have with dinner and it didn't taste bad at all. It wasn't amazing, but it tasted significantly better than the first. its been about a month and a half to two months in the bottles.

got to agree. I had some of my first batch last night. 5 weeks now compared to 3 when I tried it last. The hop aroma and flavor has really come out more.

Back