No sparge BIAB w/ iBrewmaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
iBrewmaster does not have a built in method for calculating strike temps and water volumes for no sparge BIAB. I decided to document my work around.

First, I created a no BIAB mash profile. The following pictures show the details. PS. The pictures show grain absorption of 0.1G/lb. I find 0.05G/lb is more realistic.

IMG_0491.jpg

Next, back in my recipe I created a "BIAB No Sparge" infusion mash step. The details of that mash step are shown in the picture below. The step is set to auto calculate the strike temperature based upon a user provided volume of water. I insert the "BIAB No Sparge" with a place holder water volume of 10 quarts.

IMG_0497.jpg

Next, I insert a batch sparge step. This step auto calculates the remaining water volume needed to hit my target pre-boil volume based on the grain absorption, boil loss, batch size, etc from my BIAB mash profile.

IMG_0498.jpg

At this point I have two mash steps in the recipe as shown below.
IMG_0493.jpg

Next, I add the calculated volume from the batch sparge step to the 10 quart place holder used in the "BIAB no sparge" step.

IMG_0499.jpg

This causes the volume calculated on the batch sparge step to drop to 0 quarts.

IMG_0495.jpg

Finally, I erase the batch sparge step and I have the correct water volume and strike temperature using my mash profile values (grain absorption, boil loss, etc).

IMG_0496.jpg

I have used this on brew day and it works well. My only problems so far are predicting the grain absorption rate. I squeeze the bag so there is not much absorption.

Way to go on starting the iBrewmaster BIAB conversation. There is very little info out there for those of us that use the two.

As for this process, going to try to dial mine in a little more using your method. Thanks!

Super - I BIAB no sparge as well and have to use another program to figure out volumes etc. Its weird that they don't have that function in there. I recommended it through the program a while back but no action.

Now, am I the only one who thinks using quarts for this purpose is difficult? My sightglass reads out gallons - and perhaps it is I that needs to adjust, but seems like I always have to retro calculate how many gallons the given # quarts should be.

Super - I BIAB no sparge as well and have to use another program to figure out volumes etc. Its weird that they don't have that function in there. I recommended it through the program a while back but no action.

Now, am I the only one who thinks using quarts for this purpose is difficult? My sightglass reads out gallons - and perhaps it is I that needs to adjust, but seems like I always have to retro calculate how many gallons the given # quarts should be.

Agreed. I'd like to see it configurable (qt gallon etc.)

I think it's time we recommend a more BIAB friendly mash step for the next version

I have always hated the quarts. I have dip stick marked with 0.1 gallon increments. I would much prefer to have gallons so I don't have to multiply by 4.

Just reporting back, using this method with a .05 gal/lb absorption rate and .25 gal trub loss I hit my batch size water volume on the dot. Very pleased with the results and netted about a 75% efficiency on a BIAB pale ale.

One question actually. When I input my data into iBrewmaster following your directions, My mash temp stays the same as yours(154 F) But it says to add 31 quarts of water at 156 F. I see that yours is 161 F. How did that work?

Edit:
Never mind, I answered my own question while playing around with it.

Raven1469 said:
One question actually. When I input my data into iBrewmaster following your directions, My mash temp stays the same as yours(154 F) But it says to add 31 quarts of water at 156 F. I see that yours is 161 F. How did that work?

Edit:
Never mind, I answered my own question while playing around with it.

Glad you figured it out. I didn't know.

Does this method accurately predict your starting temperature for you? It worked well getting my volume close, but the temperature was way off. It predicted ~163F for a mash of 152F, but my temp dropped less than 5 degrees so it took me awhile to get down to where i wanted to be. Did I do something wrong or is it my process?

jr82 said:
Does this method accurately predict your starting temperature for you? It worked well getting my volume close, but the temperature was way off. It predicted ~163F for a mash of 152F, but my temp dropped less than 5 degrees so it took me awhile to get down to where i wanted to be. Did I do something wrong or is it my process?

Well I also have to stir a good bit using this method. I don't have good notes to say what the temp is after stirring in the grains the first time. The temperature has never come out too low which is a good thing.

My starting temp was pretty close. Maybe you need to change something in the BIAB profile?

Can't find that brings the strike temp down. My numbers come out similar to what the OP has in his screen shots, so I think my profile is the same. If nothing else, at least I can get a volume from this method.

Check the "Mash Tun Temp Loss" setting in the mash profile you are using. This value gets added to the strike temp. So lowering it will lower the strike temp. I have mine set at 3F. I like it high because it forces me to stir a lot to get the temp down to my correct mash temp. Stirring more is good for efficiency.

Ok I see what you mean. Mine was still at the default of 2 so not enough to bring me down. This was only my first batch using this setup so I think I need to do a couple more to get a better feel for it. I also see your point about stirring I'm sure that helped me get a decent efficiency.

Thanks to the OP, I had been trying to figure out a way to do this when I stumbled on the thread!

Kind of a roundabout way of doing things, but could be worse! After 3-4 batches in iBrewmaster I'm finding this to be a reliable way to measure my water volume. It pretty much gets my 10 gallon pot completely full to the top during the mash.

Hopefully iBrewmaster 2 offers an easier, more intuitive way to do this as I know the feature set will be much improved.

Back