Brewing with "Wind Malt"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Reaction score
I tried to search for wind malt but I came up with wiki entries and a few references but nothing more than a mention:

January's BYO magazine included a cool how-to on home malting. What I'm extra interested in is attempting a traditional biere de blanche with wind malt, which is described in the article. After sprouting the grain you dry it and kiln at really low temps. I don't know much about the history but I wonder if that's why it was called a "white beer" because of the super-light color contribution from wind malt. Are there any home maltsters on HBT? I would love to know if anyone has used wind malt or can point me to a good resource.

I've just malted about 50lbs and I've got about 10-15 still in its green state (dried in dehydrator at 120 for 24 hrs). I was thinking about attempting a wind malt batch, did you have any luck?

I have not yet tried malting. It didn't work out this season for me, but it's still a very real project for me coming up. You seem to be the only person on here with the materials and intention of doing this, and I would highly encourage that you do at least a small batch with it in that state, mainly because I'd love to hear some tasting notes. Also, where did you learn your process? I like to have a number of references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY95ikN2YsY
This guy has three videos, I followed them to a t and just finished roasting my last batch of pils malt. I will be doing more research on wind malt and firing off a batch for the summer. I was considering a light beer with very little bittering and a dry hop of sorachi ace (lemon flavour) to compliment the grassy notes of the wind malt.

Back