Victory grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishkid02

Reaction score
I brewed biab batch using 10lbs pale 2row, 1.5 lbs victory, 1.25 lbs crystal 40, .75 lbs light munich and crystal 20. Hopped it heAvy. The wort appeared cloudy and still does in this pic? Is this maybe starch haze or the result of the victory? This is it in the carboy.

image-3814625801.jpg

What was your mash temp and duration? The enzymes in the 2-row would have converted all of the starches in the victory.

It's cloudy 'cuz you've got a couple billion yeast swimming around in there and they are stirring things up.

No it was cloudy before i pitched the yeast as well and the og sample was almost stratified

BIAB tends to yield a more cloudy wort which could be your initial cloudiness. Not a big deal because some will be used by yeast and the rest will settle out.

I'm going with yeast at THIS point in time as well, afterall you've still got krausen floating on top. Again, no big deal because with time it should all/mostly settle out.

What yeast strain?

After fermentation is complete, cold crashing will help get some/most of that cloudiness to settle unless you've used a really low flocculating yeast strain. I doubt very much that you didn't have good conversion (what was your OG?) which would mostly exclude starch haze as the culprit.

EDIT:
BTW, that's an awful lot of victory malt for a 5 gallon batch. I'm guessing that this is gonna be one bready, biscuity, hoppy beer :D. Give a report when you're drinking it because I'd like to know how that amount of victory affects the beer.

I forgot the irish moss. So obviously i knew it would be cloudy but not this bad. Can u add irish moss to the beer after fermentation is complete in boiled and cooled water?

Its just starting to ferment and i rehydrated bry-97 since my homebrew shop was out of s-05. Im not concerned about it just trying to put a finger on it.

I don't believe the irish moss will help at this point, the beer will be fine though. Do you have the ability to cold crash it after fermentation?

When I BIAB brew my wort always is that cloudy. Quit worrying about it, its normal and it doesn't need you fussing over it. When the ferment is completed and the yeast drops out it will be much clearer. By the time it is carbonated and matured a bit it will be totally clear. BTDTGTS

There is no reason this beer needs to be moved to secondary. It will clear fine in the primary. I never cold crash mine either because I'm patient enough to let the yeast finish the ferment, do their cleanup, and naturally settle. If it isn't clear enough in 3 weeks, leave it longer. I've left one of my beers in the primary for 9 weeks and it was really good.

+1

phishkid, your beer is fine. Don't rush it. If you really, really feel the need to cold crash it, at least give it 3 weeks before you do that. Make sure it's done fermenting first. But really, there is no need to secondary or cold crash that beer. That pic looks totally normal. Patience, Grasshopper.

I did the same thing with my first all grain batch, also BIAB. Even forgot the Whirlfloc!

I tried playing with isinglass when I racked to secondary to dry hop (I don't think it helped), but everything cleared up just fine. They pour a little hazy, like every other beer I've ever brewed, which I assume is because I don't filter.

(This one would've been fine even without the secondary, I just wanted to experiment with dry hopping using free-floating whole cones, and didn't want to have to deal with trub, yeast, and loose hops.)

Even though BIAB starts out cloudy, it will settle out just like everything else.

I do 3 weeks primary, 3-5 days cold crash, 2 weeks keg, then I tap it. My beers always come out crystal clear. It just takes time.

Back