Safe 2 drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
Ok so i brewed a Oatmeal stout about a year ago and was still very new 2 brewing i didn't take an OG or a FG i just followed the instructions and made it it fermented and all i drank some tasted good never really new if there was alot of alcohol in it cause i would pound other beers after drinking it cause it was not the kind of beer you pound one after the other and back then i started brewing just 2 have more beer well i have slowed down and started enjoying my beer brewed an IPA that i have been drinking i'm just wondering without knowing the ABV and being a new brewer when i brewed it and it sitting for a year at room temp do u think its safe 2 drink this oatmeal stout any advice would be great Thanks

I'm sure it's probably safe to drink. Stouts can age a little bit if they have some gravity to them, but since you didn't take any FG readings, that's impossible to determine. The worst that can happen is the flavors have faded out, the beer has been lightstruck and drinks like a skunk, or it tastes like wet cardboard from oxydation. I'm willing to bet that if you've let it sit in a dark closet or someplace out of the way, that it's probably fine to drink.

The low pH, hops, and alcohol are going to keep bad things from growing in it. Any bacteria that could grow would just produce off flavors. Beer is known for being inhospitable for pathogens, part of the reason it became so popular long before sanitation was a thing. You'll find people on here that have drank much older beers some even decades old. It won't hurt you, and it might even taste better than you remember.

EPS said:
Ok so i brewed a Oatmeal stout about a year ago and was still very new 2 brewing i didn't take an OG or a FG i just followed the instructions and made it it fermented and all i drank some tasted good never really new if there was alot of alcohol in it cause i would pound other beers after drinking it cause it was not the kind of beer you pound one after the other and back then i started brewing just 2 have more beer well i have slowed down and started enjoying my beer brewed an IPA that i have been drinking i'm just wondering without knowing the ABV and being a new brewer when i brewed it and it sitting for a year at room temp do u think its safe 2 drink this oatmeal stout any advice would be great Thanks

This is the longest sentence I've ever read :p

Thanks for all your help guys i opened a pint of it and drank it after it was in the fridge for about 5 hrs and it tasted great and gave me a little buzz!!!:ban:

This is the longest sentence I've ever read :p

:fro::mug:

And it still wasn't finished. ...

......:D

Can you use periods so i can understand your sentences and when they end its funny because i might be doing the same thing also its ok to drink anything that has over 2% ABV nothing can survive in those environments so it should be safe to drink!

Its also pretty easy to guestimate your ABV by taking your ingridients and finding out there extract potential or PPG then using your yeasts average attenuation to find an aproproate FG.

Back