Wlp530 + wlp545

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm brewing a Tripel recipe below and thought about the possibility of combining these two yeasts together. I've never done a combination blend, but figured it might be interesting. Has anyone tried these two before? Should I combine them together and pitch together, or start with one then add the other?

Thoughts?

Edit: realized I forgot to attach recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3 10.0 %
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 4 17.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 5 10.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Aroma Stee Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Hello,
I'm brewing a Tripel recipe below and thought about the possibility of combining these two yeasts together. I've never done a combination blend, but figured it might be interesting. Has anyone tried these two before? Should I combine them together and pitch together, or start with one then add the other?

Thoughts?

Edit: realized I forgot to attach recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3 10.0 %
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 4 17.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 5 10.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [11.40 %] - Aroma Stee Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Adding the sugar and carapils is counterintuiative. One reduces body, the sugar, the other increases it, the carapils.

If you want a dry, crisp tripel, keep the sugar. If you want a little body, try wheat (for protein), Munich, or aromatic.

That's just me.

highgravitybacon said:
Adding the sugar and carapils is counterintuiative. One reduces body, the sugar, the other increases it, the carapils.

If you want a dry, crisp tripel, keep the sugar. If you want a little body, try wheat (for protein), Munich, or aromatic.

That's just me.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. Any thoughts on the yeast question?

Thanks, will keep that in mind. Any thoughts on the yeast question?

Again, personal preference here. To me the beauty of the tripel lies in its simplicity. Letting each ingredient speak for itself. It's the difference between a barbershop quartet and a symphony orchestra. You can taste each ingredient. In the classic tripel you get the grainy, sweetness of the pils, a touch of caramel and roast from munich malt, smell the flowery spice of saaz, and then hear yeast speak so clearly.

Both of the yeasts you mention are superb on their own, and to be honest I have no idea if you'd really see dramatic difference singly vs blended. I'm sure some, but it will have a strong hop presence in your beer. With the falconer's flight, you'll be getting a pretty pronounced hopping that by itself will stand out very loudly. With basically just pils malt, it's going to smell very hoppy since these are Loud and Proud hops.

Again, personal preference here. To me the beauty of the tripel lies in its simplicity. Letting each ingredient speak for itself. It's the difference between a barbershop quartet and a symphony orchestra. You can taste each ingredient. In the classic tripel you get the grainy, sweetness of the pils, a touch of caramel and roast from munich malt, smell the flowery spice of saaz, and then hear yeast speak so clearly.

Both of the yeasts you mention are superb on their own, and to be honest I have no idea if you'd really see dramatic difference singly vs blended. I'm sure some, but it will have a strong hop presence in your beer. With the falconer's flight, you'll be getting a pretty pronounced hopping that by itself will stand out very loudly. With basically just pils malt, it's going to smell very hoppy since these are Loud and Proud hops.

Thanks for the input. This is for a wedding beer and all the ingredients have some symbolism. I'm going to drop the carapils. 80% Best Malz Pilsen and 20% sucrose. I'm going to keep the two yeasts and the hops.

Latest posts

Back