Cold crash or slowly bring to lager temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopJuicer

Reaction score
Happy Friday!!!

I brewed a Kolsch style ale and it's holding steady at 1.008 and am ready to rack to the secondary to lager. I have read to cold crash it to lager temps (i was going with 35 degrees) and also to slowly bring down to lager temps.

Is there a difference in dropping the temps a few degrees daily until I reach 35, and setting the secondary in the refrigerator at 35 degrees and letting it go?

the main difference to me is the amount of work involved. The yeast are done working, so there's not as much of a reason to treat them delicately. I would just cold crash it

The schools of thought are one as stated above, the yeast are done so it shouldn't matter. The other is that if you cold crash you could shock the yeast causing them to excrete protease enzymes which would be damaging to head retention. As with everything in homebrewing it seems both schools will get great results. I have never cold crashed, I always slowly ramp to lagering temps and have had two great beers, a schwarzbier and a munich helles. So I would say cold crash it and see how it turns out, either way it's going to be drinkable. Cheers!

The beer turned out awesome! It stayed at 38 degrees for a few weeks. Nice and clear! It had a subtle fruity taste from the yeast. I was going to try the yeast in an IPA as an experiment.

Awesome. I'm gonna give it a try then. Let me know how that IPA works out, seems like a good experiment!

Will do! I got kind of backed up since I got morebeer 2050 system, one brew filled all my remaining fermenting vessels. Nothing to complain about lol. Once I get around to the IPA experiment I will let you know how it goes.

Back