Brew pot lid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
I started weldin on a lid for my brew pot. Since I cut a 15 gallon keg in half for a brew pot it's kinda hard to get a lid. If you can't buy it build it.

image-3193414918.jpg

Yooper said:
I'm not sure, but I think it's going to be ugly! :D

It'll be beautiful. How can good welds and stainless steel be ugly.

I don't have a lid for my brewpot, but I never thought about it before. Why would you need one?

I don't really know if I need it I was just thinkin I'd lose less water in the form of steam and it would come to a boil quicker. Once at a boil it should take less gas to keep it there cause you're holdin heat in instead of letting it go out of the open pot.

NervousDad is right; you're not just boiling off steam, you're also driving off DMS precursors and other volatile off-flavor-causing compounds. Might still save you a couple minutes in getting it to a boil, though.

Now, all that being said, that is a pretty badass stainless lampshade, whatever use you put it to. :rockin:

I'm usin the other half of the keg for a shrimp boil/burgoo pot. If I can't us it for the brew pot I can use it for the other half. I'll post a pic when it's all done and polished out. Polished stainless makes me drool. 😜

How do pro breweries get rid of DMS? Their boil kettles are covered aren't they?

d_jabsd said:
How do pro breweries get rid of DMS? Their boil kettles are covered aren't they?

That's a good question. Any good answers?

All of the breweries I've toured had the kettles hooked up to a ventilation system - which totally makes sense, considering the humongous amounts of steam that would otherwise fill the brewery...

Cheers!

Back