Inline O2 system users, difusion stone sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
I received an O2 system for christmas. haven't used it yet, but was already thinking of piecing together an inline setup, much like what morebeer offers. My question is, how do you clean/sanitize the stone? Do you just run boiling water through it, like you'd sanitize the PC before using it? Can you run PBW over it afterward to clean it?

Here is my current sanitizing procedure before cooling wort:

1. Run Boiling water through pump and PC for a minimum of 15 min, usually longer.

Here is my current cleaning procedure after brewing:

1. Run a PBW solution at 150* in BK that is recirculated through my PC and my pump. 20 min duration.
2. Dump
3. Run close to boiling water through same setup to rinse. 20 min duration.
4. Dump

So in this setup, I'd have the inline piece on the backend of the PC. I'd be running boiling water through it before chilling the wort to sanitize it. Then afterward, I'd be hitting it with the PBW to clean it, and water again to rinse it. Will this work, or do you take your piece apart to get at the stone after each brew?

I soak the stone in starsan for 15-30minutes. I just set it in the bucket and a leave it there.Then I boil some water in the microwave and stick the stone in it right before I use it. I also run 02 through it while its in the starsan and boiling water. Then same thing after use. Has worked well so far.

Is your stone part of the a drop in system, or is it in something like this:
6506.jpg

3% hydrogen peroxide works well for sanitizing, and for keeping particles and dried wort from clogging the stone.

Back