Now I remember why I don't share with people at work...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
Brought a 1L swingtop of cream ale in for a guy at work on Friday who "wished there was a place he could go with shelves stocked full of peoples' homebrew so he could just try them".

Now, I'm open to criticism and the possibility that he just didn't like my beer but... this is the most easy-drinking lawnmower beer I've ever made. Crystal clear, no off flavors, lightly hoppy, crisp, sub-4.5% abv. Nothing even sticks out enough to be offensive. Even my mom likes it (and she'd tell me if she didn't... die-hard Miller Lite lady)

I asked him to please drink it all when he opens it up, as the swingtop wouldn't hold carbonation long-term and that it would go flat like a growler. He says oh sure.

I come back in this morning and there's my half-empty bottle left in the fridge, and two f*cking twelve packs of Miller Lite that I *know* his boss brought in. So basically they opened mine, had a little bit of that, switched to swill and let mine go flat. Now that I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches... that's rough.

F*ck that. Never again. :mad:

LOL... no. I don't think he has one yet.

What can I do to sabotage the Bud & Miller in the fridge though? hmm.

It is extremely hard to break people out of drinking their swill for whatever reason. Just like cigarette smokers keep smoking crappy cigarettes when they could step up to pipe tobacco or cigars if they really wanted quality tobacco.

It is extremely hard to break people out of drinking their swill for whatever reason. Just like cigarette smokers keep smoking crappy cigarettes when they could step up to pipe tobacco or cigars if they really wanted quality tobacco.

Yeah... it's just unfortunate because he does talk a big game sometimes about liking a wider variety. Tough to think that he's anything other than full of ****.

LOL... no. I don't think he has one yet.

Make sure they hear you rave about your next really good beer...when they finally asking you to bring some in tell them to go to hell since they wasted the last stuff.

I'm trying not to let 1 bad apple spoil the bunch though. There are a few good people here that I like to share with. One guy has always been good about giving me feedback and bringing bottles back. The other is my good friend and neighbor who has no problem telling me if he hates something - he's brutally honest, which is good.

But man... the beer-wasters are the worst.

It's just an office - they wait until after 5pm and then crack open the swill. I'm gone by then, but I used to join in when my hours were different years ago.

Oh wow... it gets worse. I just asked him how he liked it, and it turns out he didn't even drink it. Another guy, who is a giant f*cking ****** slimy salesman who plays in a terrible cover band (I HATE THIS DUDE) beat him to it and was the one that drank half of it and left it in there to die. I would have never in a million years brought this dude any of my beer. laksdjflkjlsdkjfls

I gave my coworkers one chance to enjoy (or dislike) my beer. First guy let my beer sit in his car for 3 months...IN THE SUMMER. He gets no more.

Second guy took it home and tried it, brought bottles back and gave a review. He gets beer from nearly every batch now.

The next guy...let my beer sit for over 6 months (who knows where). He gets no more.

Last guy, gave him an IPA. I don't even know when he drank it, or if he did. But a couple months after giving him the beer he raved to another worker that the stout I gave him was delicious. He gets no more, since he can't even recall what I gave him.

Coworker #2 is the only one I regularly give beer to and he always gives an honest review and bottles returned. Sometimes he likes it, sometimes not. The point is that he actually drinks it when it's freshest. Not letting it sit, which I cannot stand. Don't ask to try my beer if you aren't going to drink it within the next century...

End rant...sorry, you sparked an annoyance that I have with my own coworkers lol. I feel your pain.

That's not really comparable. Cigarettes are not only cheaper, they fulfill a very different function -- satisfying an addiction. I smoked for a long time and although I can enjoy a good cigar or hookah, it was fulfilling from a flavor aspect but not the addiction. I've never heard of anybody smoking a cigarette for flavor (although I'm sure there are some people like that.)

Hahaha, I laughed my a** off reading this thread. I love the home brewers passion, it's amazing just how little respect people can have for your beer, they don't realize how much work and care we put into it. I have a beer enthusiast friend who works at a beer store (where I purchase my beer) He regularly recieves one of my home brews and always has something constructive to say.

It just really added insult to injury when I confronted the guy about it and found out that the slimiest dude in the office was the actual offender. Anyone but him.....

It just really added insult to injury when I confronted the guy about it and found out that the slimiest dude in the office was the actual offender. Anyone but him.....

Not sure how your office works, but who just goes in the fridge and drinks something that isn't theirs?

You should fill a bottle with something gross or bowel movement inducing and pop it in the fridge for when this guy decides to take another beer without permission...

I think I posted once before about taking homebrew to work to share. My office from to time would have people bring in wine and sit around and exchange, compare, or just sip and socialize. So I thought I would do the same for beer and brought homebrew and asked others to bring in there favorite beers. So we are sitting around drinking my talking about it having a good time and people are trickling out and I start to notice the beer selection shrinking. Everyone of them drank mine the whole time never offered up what they brought and then took theirs home with them.

Kinda defeated the EXCHANGE part, so I haven't offered to do it again even though a few have asked. I did ask if they understood it was suppose to be an exchange and a few looked a little guilty.

I think I posted once before about taking homebrew to work to share. My office from to time would have people bring in wine and sit around and exchange, compare, or just sip and socialize. So I thought I would do the same for beer and brought homebrew and asked others to bring in there favorite beers. So we are sitting around drinking my talking about it having a good time and people are trickling out and I start to notice the beer selection shrinking. Everyone of them drank mine the whole time never offered up what they brought and then took theirs home with them.

Kinda defeated the EXCHANGE part, so I haven't offered to do it again even though a few have asked. I did ask if they understood it was suppose to be an exchange and a few looked a little guilty.

To embarrassed? Maybe theirs was just that bad?

Spray the tops of the cans with windex, or wipe them with a soapy rag; both will leave an unplesant taste onthe cans, even after they've dried.

If it's bottles, spray the outside of the bottles with Starsan & let it dry; it makes the bottle slippery when condensation starts. :D
Regards, GF.
:mug:

Clearly you need to organize another exchange and bring a forty of Magnum. Then drink their beer.

To embarrassed? Maybe theirs was just that bad?

Theirs were all store bought, I am the only homebrewer, but they were good beers that I would have loved to have taken home and enjoyed as a thank you for me bringing mine in. Hell even it they would have only given me one or two out of the six pack but they took them all with them. :drunk:

I was drinking my own along with them to talk taste and flavors, guess I should have been hammering what the brought before they could grab it and run. :ban:

I was drinking my own along with them to talk taste and flavors, guess I should have been hammering what the brought before they could grab it and run. :ban:

So when I first read this I wondered why you didn't do just that... but you bring up a good point about being able to have a good discussion about the flavors in your homebrew.

Brought a 1L swingtop of cream ale in for a guy at work on Friday who "wished there was a place he could go with shelves stocked full of peoples' homebrew so he could just try them".

Now, I'm open to criticism and the possibility that he just didn't like my beer but... this is the most easy-drinking lawnmower beer I've ever made. Crystal clear, no off flavors, lightly hoppy, crisp, sub-4.5% abv. Nothing even sticks out enough to be offensive. Even my mom likes it (and she'd tell me if she didn't... die-hard Miller Lite lady)

I asked him to please drink it all when he opens it up, as the swingtop wouldn't hold carbonation long-term and that it would go flat like a growler. He says oh sure.

I come back in this morning and there's my half-empty bottle left in the fridge, and two f*cking twelve packs of Miller Lite that I *know* his boss brought in. So basically they opened mine, had a little bit of that, switched to swill and let mine go flat. Now that I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches... that's rough.

F*ck that. Never again. :mad:

If it ever comes up again, crack the seal on all the cans. You don't necessarily have to open them fully, just let all the carbonation out. They let your beer go flat, you let theirs go flat. Turnabout is fair play, yeah?

Theirs were all store bought, I am the only homebrewer, but they were good beers that I would have loved to have taken home and enjoyed as a thank you for me bringing mine in. Hell even it they would have only given me one or two out of the six pack but they took them all with them. :drunk:

Now you know. Seems like a game plan.

Back