First brew is in the fermenter, couple of worries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabrock1

Reaction score
Been reading for a couple week now and today I finally brewed my first homebrew today and everything went pretty good but the only thing Im worried about is that when I was heating everything up I never got to a boil but im pretty sure it was very close. Will this affect my brew? Another thing that caught me offguard was after I cooled my wort I could still see very fine particles in the wort which I imagine was the dextrose. Is that normal? It was a Coopers Lager kit (wanted to keep it simple on the first brew to get the process down).

Thanks for the help

You'll be fine on boil, It's difficult getting a full rolling boil on a stove top. as for the particles this is normal... It's what we call hot break. it's just proteins from the extract. it's a good thing. this will produce a clearer final product. sounds like you got your boil hot enough to cause this. good job!

You may want to consider upping your hop dosage in the future though - a vigorous rolling boil aids in releasing hop oils and ensuring they are infused into your wort. If you cannot achieve a rolling boil and your beers come out to mild for your liking, slightly increase your hop usage to compensate.

You may want to consider upping your hop dosage in the future though - a vigorous rolling boil aids in releasing hop oils and ensuring they are infused into your wort. If you cannot achieve a rolling boil and your beers come out to mild for your liking, slightly increase your hop usage to compensate.

Or lower your boil size.

Yeah I will make sure I have a smaller boil next time. Also the beer is fermenting at about 72 degrees, is this too high?
Kind of depends on the yeast, but yeah it seems a bit high. During active fermentation the temp of the wort will be 6-10 degrees higher. I usually like my ambient temp to be in the low to mid 60's.

Kind of depends on the yeast, but yeah it seems a bit high. During active fermentation the temp of the wort will be 6-10 degrees higher. I usually like my ambient temp to be in the low to mid 60's.

Well I have a stick on thermometer on the fermenting bucket that reads 72 ambient temp is prob around 68

What yeast did you use? Most have a range posted and will ferment a little cleaner at the lower end of the range.

Found this online about the coopers yeast.

All-purpose dry ale yeast. It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures. More heat tolerant than other strains, 65-75¡F; recommended for summer brewing. Medium attenuation and flocculation.

So it looks like you might be ok.

Back