1st time use of liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
I have brewed about 50 or so batches over the years and used liquid yeast for the first time this week. This came in a kit and was the typical smack pak.

Anyway, after 24 hours the package only swelled about 1.25 inches but I was eager to get the wort started so I pitched the yeast.

24 hours later the air lock is now bubbling. The kit stayed in my basement for 2 weeks before I brewed and I did not remove and refrigerate the yeast so I was expecting a bad result.

Anyway, things appear to be working OK at this early stage.

Nice! Glad you had a good first experience. I have just started using liquid and I love it. Out of 8 brews I've done, 3 of them have been liquid yeast. Havent had any issues at all with the those three. Other dry yeasts I have had some issues such as fermentation stalling, lagging, takings over a week, etc.

I know that I have not had enough brews under me to say definitively that liquid >> dry, or that I will always use only liquid from now one, but lets just say I am definitely investing in a DIY stirplate, some mason jars, DME, and possibly some vials for long term storage. Liquid is definitely more expensive, especially if you buy a new vial (or smackpack) every batch...

I've used S-05 and S-04 dry yeast recently and they are both reliable champs!

...not sure how the liquid will turn out but the primary advantage is the many types of liquid availible; right?

Liquid is definitely more expensive, especially if you buy a new vial (or smackpack) every batch...

Save your yeast cake in mason jars in the fridge - it'll keep for a few months.

I like to try and get at least 3 or 4 brews from a single smack-pack.

So you had no problems with the smack pack not completely inflated? Thats good to know, I'm waiting for mine right now so I can make a starter with it But I guess I wont worry if it's not 100% inflated.

This pack was definatly NOT fully inflated. It was more than half inflated I would guess. I shook the pak several times during the pre-pitch event - not sure if that helps hurry the process but it can't hurt, I guess....

Next time I will allow more than 24 hours to get the liquid yeast ready.

This pack was definatly NOT fully inflated. It was more than half inflated I would guess. I shook the pak several times during the pre-pitch event - not sure if that helps hurry the process but it can't hurt, I guess....

Next time I will allow more than 24 hours to get the liquid yeast ready.

ive had some packs not fully inflate that worked fine... one of them i noticed there was still a lot of nutrient left in the broken sac. you should get into the habit of making starters for your liquid yeast and always have a backup pack of dry yeast on hand.

i go back every summer for a week or so.. i went in august and made it to the Blue canoes beerfest. have you ever been to the beerfest the canoe puts on??? this year was my first time and i will be making it a yearly thing from now on.

i go back every summer for a week or so.. i went in august and made it to the Blue canoes beerfest. have you ever been to the beerfest the canoe puts on??? this year was my first time and i will be making it a yearly thing from now on.

No I've not made it to the beerfest yet, I was suppose to go this year but was out of town. Maybe I'll catch you @ the next one.

Back