Ok, first newb mistake...do I worry or RDWHAHB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
After only 1.5 months of brewing, I realized I've been making a mistake on the last 3 batches. I haven't been boiling the priming sugar in water before dumping it into the bottling bucket. My first batch I did, but these last three I totally forgot and dumped the sugar in the bottom of the bucket, then racked on top. One thing I made sure of was that the sugar was well disbursed and mixed up while racking (without splashing, of course), but it was never boiled first.

Do I worry about having undercarb'd beer, or RDWHAHB?

I guess a mistake was bound to happen at some point. I just hope my Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, and Oatmeal Stout don't have to suffer because of it...

I wouldnt be at all worried about undercarbed beer. infection is the only real concern and its probably not a very big concern. I say RDWHAHB

I disagree....

I wouldn't say infection is a real concern because the beer is already fermented. I'd be more worried that the priming sugar would not be adequately dissolved and would leave the beer either undercarbed or carbonation would vary from bottle to bottle.

Did the priming sugar look to totally dissolve when you racked the beer on top?

One thing I made sure of was that the sugar was well disbursed and mixed up while racking (without splashing, of course), but it was never boiled first.

By that I was assuming that the sugar totally dissolved. And like I said the infection is not a big concern.

I wouldnt be at all worried about undercarbed beer. infection is the only real concern and its probably not a very big concern. I say RDWHAHB

Ok, thanks. I would hope that AHS and Homebrewers.com wouldn't sell infected sugar :cross:

As far as the sugar being dissolved, I rested the siphon tube on the bottom of the bucket and in a sweeping motion (slowly) moved it back and forth. By the time the bucket filled in with a couple bottles worth of beer, the sugar could not be visibly seen anymore. I randomly then, throughout racking, moved the position of the siphon tube (which always remained at the bottom of the bucket, to eliminate splashing) so the directional flow of beer wouldn't be the same throughout the entire session. It's like my brain knew I was missing a step, and compensated for my idiocy, haha.

I made the same mistake on my first brew, and I didn't even stir it up. When I finished bottling, there was still some sugar caked to the bottom of the bucket. It was fine. Most of the beers are SLIGHTLY undercarbed, but they are all consistently carbed (except for one which practically exploded out of the bottle when I opened it, and it tasted like "champagne-beer"" it was so bubbly.)

I think you'll be more than fine...

I made the same mistake on my first brew, and I didn't even stir it up. When I finished bottling, there was still some sugar caked to the bottom of the bucket. It was fine. Most of the beers are SLIGHTLY undercarbed, but they are all consistently carbed (except for one which practically exploded out of the bottle when I opened it, and it tasted like "champagne-beer"" it was so bubbly.)

I think you'll be more than fine...

Thanks, and I'm guessing your champagne-beer was the last bottle from the bucket :drunk:

Yup, I also did the same thing with one of my earlier beers. It was SUPER flat at the end of 2 weeks. I was going to recarb them with carbonation pills but I got super busy and forgot about it for another 2 weeks. Finally put some time aside, opened one bottle and was greeted with a "fittzzz"... turned out it was SLIGHTLY carbonated. Decide to let it wait a bit longer. Much more carbonation!

So the lack of sugar just made me need to wait longer till it was ready. As with all things beer, time will fix just about anything.

I used to just dump the sugar right in without boiling all the time. It's not an issue, although I now boil it in water first.

If nothing else, the boiling ensures that the sugar is thoroughly dissolved and the liquid will mix in more evenly in the bottling bucket.

On my very first batch many moons ago, I remember carefully measuring out portions of table sugar and pouring them into each individual bottle, then capping and shaking them up to dissolve the sugar. That beer came out fine, and actually the carbonation level was great. Since then, I have switched to batch priming and I always dissolve my sugar by boiling it in a small amount (maybe 1/4 cup) of water before stirring it into the bottling bucket.

I think for beer at room temperatures, the amount of sugar you are adding should dissolve fine so long as you are mixing it thoroughly. If you are cold crashing before bottling, like I do nowadays, you are probably going to get sugar crystals on the bottom of your bucket when you're done racking.

We will see,

Just tell us how it is when you drink it.

I always boiled priming sugar but maybe It was just a waist of time.

Never assume that your sugar is clean just because it comes from a reputable source. They are probably buying it in bulk and breaking it down into single-use packets. The problem is that they may do this in the same area that they grind their grains for their kits, and grain dust is full of all the things we try to avoid. I have no idea, but I had to throw away multiple batches this summer due to contamination, and I do everything by the book. All I can say is you may be fine, you may not. We all make mistakes and sometimes we pay dearly for them. I'm not trying to freak you out, but it's easier to take if you're prepared for the worst. Also better if it turns out great. Good luck.

No one is going to sell infected sugar, as far as they can control it. Just having the container exposed to air, which caries the baddies, can introduce infection. Many retailers probably buy the sugar in bulk then package in smaller quantities to save money.

Then when you open the container to measure or mix you are exposing it again.

Just having the lid off your bottling bucket exposes the beer. Alcohol in the beer is enough to lessen the risk but not eliminate it. Boiling the sugar solution does the same - lessen the risk, not eliminate it.

Not boiling the sugar is adding to the risk but does not mean the beer will get infected. The beer should be OK but boiling is the safer practice.

A few weeks after bottling you will have the answer in the mean time there is nothing to do but RDWHAHB.

Back