Anyone ever have a coupling welded in to their kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have a 30qt SS pot I'd like to have bulk-headed but i don't like the idea of a weldless if i can avoid it. Has anyone had success finding a competent local welding shop that didn't hold you to a job order minimum? How much did you pay?

I'm wondering if the welding shop could be persuaded to offer "special rates" and perhaps waive some of their job order minimums if they know the ultimate purpose of the welding they will be doing, and if they know that you are a generous person....

I welded one myself. Paid about a quarter for the expendable supplies. Look for a small shop, preferably dirty, with one seemingly rude guy at the counter (sort of joking, but often those "not-so-nice-looking" places are the best for small custom jobs). Ask nicely and they might do it for the cost of a few of your beers. I think about $30 would be a fair charge if they don't take liquid currency.

You could alternatively go to a welding supply store and ask the guys at the counter whom they'd recommend. They're supplying the welders and know the business and are welders themselves. Welding supply guys tend to be really nice people.

Bring beer with you to the welder and tell them what you need. Have everything drilled and prepped with parts in hand. They shouldn't charge you more then $20. I paid $30 each for mine but I had multiple fittings and a big 4" hole in the bottom of all my pots.

I went back to the same guy later with 2 couplings and a 6 pack of beer, he welded it while I waited and didn't charge me.

Back