Pur water filter trick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know how many people know this so I thought I'd throw it out there... You know when an on faucet Pur water filter finally stops flowing due to the filter being fully "used"? Well, that isn't the filter that stopping the water... its something in the unit itself. If you take the filter out for a minute, then put it back in, the gauge will reset itself and your back in business - just like new.

I'm sure someone will disagree but we ALWAYS run our filters through at least twice (three times in a pinch) and have never noticed any off tastes or odors...

The timing of filter changes is critical to ensuring you the best quality product. Failure to change the filters at the indicated interval will seriously damage our profits.

Had an argument with my Dodge dealer about changing the fuel filter, his people are convinced that they know more about it than the monitoring computer that I paid extra for on my Sprinter van. They insist on shorter change intervals, but will not refund my money for the "worthless" monitor. Since it is really a Mercedes, I'll believe the computer.

depending on the engine, its very possible that a fuel filter could be starving a motor at high load. Ive personally seen plugged fuel filters pull as much as 20psi pressure at the fuel rail, at high rpm.

now im not gonna say that its the same thing with this PUR unit, but a fuel filter is nothing more than a piece of paper in a metal canister. This pur unit may have some mechanism to close an aperture or valve limiing water flow. Could be to keep filters fresh, could be to simply generate revenue.

John Beere said:
Don't know how many people know this so I thought I'd throw it out there... You know when an on faucet Pur water filter finally stops flowing due to the filter being fully "used"? Well, that isn't the filter that stopping the water... its something in the unit itself. If you take the filter out for a minute, then put it back in, the gauge will reset itself and your back in business - just like new.

I'm sure someone will disagree but we ALWAYS run our filters through at least twice (three times in a pinch) and have never noticed any off tastes or odors...

I agree..did the same thing myself a while back..used it three times, with no difference. I usually smell the chlorine when the tap runs since I grew up with well water, I am sensitive to harsh smells....3 or three times is fine.

I don't know, call me a realist, but jumping off a bridge 3 times may be my limit.

I change the filter when it the gage says to change it.

I had an '85 Fiero. I performed all the maintenance, oil changes, brakes, belts, etc. I gave it away to a soldier. It had 216,000 miles on it. I changed the filter every 3000 miles or after long trips. I had the confidence to jump in that car to go anywhere at any time without worrying if it was going to make it cross country. The Fiero was in the shop once for a blown head gasket at 80k miles. That's the only time it was in the shop when I owned it.

My current '99 Grand Am has just over 122,000. I purchased it new in Sep '98 and I paid it off 4 months later. I put over 50,000 miles on it in excess of 100 MPH. I change the oil when the idiot light comes on. This car has only been in the shop for AC work. It'll be 8 years old in a few months. It still looks new. Another thing...I've never waxed it either and it still shines.:D

I'm pretty confident that I keep my cars running longer and in great shape than you guys...but let's get back to the subject of beer...

My beer gets filtered water. Period.

Life is full of too many uncertainties. Why play the odds when you can become the house and have all the odds in your favor?:D ;)

I think filtering it is fine if your water analysis indicates something that needs to be filtered, otherwise I can't really see investing the time or money given that your beer doesn't have any issues related to water. My water is pretty soft and doesn't have any chloramine...if I lived in the midwest or other area with traditionally hard water I'd consider just buying distilled water and treating it with salts depending on the style.

Incidentally, though governed by two separate agencies, tap water and bottled drinking water have essentially the same standards.

Uhm, the "idiot light" doesn't come on when you need an oil change, it comes on when it's sensing low oil pressue. Couldn't convince SWMBO of this fact until her engine blew up. Used to flicker on occassionally, she seemed to think at about the time it needed an oil change. It wasn't needing an oil change that was the problem. You might want to have that looked at.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Actually on some cars it does come on at the service interval, generally based on the odometer.

You know, I just came back up to edit my post, after remembering that my Honda does tell me when I need regular maintenance (but not oil changes). Depends on the car, I'm sure, but I've never seen one where the "oil" light doesn't indicate pressure, not "dirtiness."

the_bird said:
Uhm, the "idiot light" doesn't come on when you need an oil change, it comes on when it's sensing low oil pressue...
My idiot light comes on every 3000 miles, I change my oil and reset it.

BTW, it says "Change Oil"...I don't think that could possibly mean anything else.:D ;)

The good thing about it is that every second oil change I make sure I get my tires rotated too. Two gages for the price of one. Good deal, huh?

Yeah, I just came back on to apologize, I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, if you haven't figured that out yet. I'm not used to American cars. Anyway, it's a topic that gets me a little riled up still, thinking about that goddamn $2,000 check I had to frickin' write, like six weeks before the wedding, because SWMBO wouldn't frickin' believe me when I told her she needed to get the car looked at. So, my apologies to you, good sir. :)

And never forget, if there were an idiot light on my forehead, it would be on 24/7.

I was just thinking about one of my college classes. It was one of the electronics classes where I had a teacher who was an adjunt professor. He was telling us all these cool things... well he started in the Army. Designing things that were made to work under the most terrible of conditions. Lasts forever.

Well he left the Army and was at his first job outside of the military. He had to design this board for a car... forget what exactly it was, but he was all impressed. He explained everything to the owner emphasing the quality and how long it will last... well the owner was not pleased. The owner was pretty frank.... said that he was going to put him out of business. That he wanted this part serviced in 6 months. So what did he do.... calculated the resistance needed to drain the battery inside 6 months and slaped a resistor across the load :drunk:

Well this thread certainly took an odd turn... heh. To get it back on track, our tap water isn't bad but it does have a slight odor and taste to it unfiltered. It isn't worth it to us to push the Pur filters to their absolute limit - but none of us can tell any difference between the first cycle or probably the third. Definitely no difference between running it through a second cycle... Probably only 2% or so of our water is actually being filtered for brewing beer. The rest is for drinking water and to make the kid's juice, etc.

the_bird said:
Yeah, I just came back on to apologize, I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, if you haven't figured that out yet. I'm not used to American cars. Anyway, it's a topic that gets me a little riled up still, thinking about that goddamn $2,000 check I had to frickin' write, like six weeks before the wedding, because SWMBO wouldn't frickin' believe me when I told her she needed to get the car looked at. So, my apologies to you, good sir. :)

And never forget, if there were an idiot light on my forehead, it would be on 24/7.
It takes a big man to admit he made a mistake. I do and I like that in others. Hey, some of the best laughs we get are when we're laughing at ourselves. You're not an idiot in my book.:D

the_bird said:
Uhm, the "idiot light" doesn't come on when you need an oil change, it comes on when it's sensing low oil pressue. Couldn't convince SWMBO of this fact until her engine blew up. Used to flicker on occassionally, she seemed to think at about the time it needed an oil change. It wasn't needing an oil change that was the problem. You might want to have that looked at.
Boy is this oddly similar to something that happened to me. My wife, fiance at the time, had a 82 Celica that was low in miles, about 50K, when she bought it around 1999. A few days before the wedding in 02 she had a gasket leak and that thing was toast.

I should apologize to John Beere, as well, I'm a complete thread-jacker. Can't help it, I often think in tangents (the most interesting conversations often come out of something that's only peripherally related). Suppose I ought to use that little "Off Topic" icon a little more....

Anyway, the only GOOD thing about SWMBO blowing up her engine on the NY Thruway (I was with her, thankfully there was very little traffic and we were about a half-mile from an exit ramp) was that I never have to worry about losing an automotive-related argument with her in my life. :)

Lou said:
:off: :off: :off:
what water filter:confused:

Well, the original point of this thread was to make people aware of the fact that, in my opinion, you can re-user Pur water filters at least twice - probably three times - with no ill side effects.

Back