Book Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
What is your favorite brewing related book? or resource (besides this forum)?

My recommendation for a book every home brewer must read is "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. I mentioned this book in another thread and decided I had to broadcast it even more how much I love this book. DGB is an unbelievable resource that made me realize how ignorant I was when it came to brewing. I thought I knew a good deal but really I just knew the steps. DGB will teach you how to manipulate your recipes and each step in order to get the exact beer you're trying for.

I read my copy twice in a week...with a highlighter in hand.

I read your earlier thread and SWIMBO is ordering this book tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I agree - I love DGB and frequently use it as a reference for beer design. I did a review on it a while back here. It is targeted towards the intermediate to advanced brewer however. I'm reading through "The Brewing Handbook" now, though it is more technical and less practical than Daniels' book.

Other good books for beginners include Palmer's How to Brew and the old classic Papazian Joy of Home Brewing books (though a bit dated now).

Brad

I like DGB as well. Although, I wish he would write a sequel covering more of the beer styles he doesn't really cover in that book. Also, I felt like he focused more on the analyses of "second-round NHC" beer recipes than commercial ones. But, don't get me wrong... it's still a great book to which I refer frequently.

I'm also a big fan of New Brewing Lager Beer. Noonan comes across like he really knows his $h!t, not like he researched the information just for the book. It's fairly technical, but it made me a better brewer because he explains the "why's" of things that most other books don't explain for fear of losing the reader. I realized some common misconceptions in homebrewing from reading that book and that knowing your malt analysis can significantly improve your beer. And it's not just for lagers anymore.

menschmaschine said:
I like DGB as well. Although, I wish he would write a sequel covering more of the beer styles he doesn't really cover in that book. Also, I felt like he focused more on the analyses of "second-round NHC" beer recipes than commercial ones. But, don't get me wrong... it's still a great book to which I refer frequently.

I'm also a big fan of New Brewing Lager Beer. Noonan comes across like he really knows his $h!t, not like he researched the information just for the book. It's fairly technical, but it made me a better brewer because he explains the "why's" of things that most other books don't explain for fear of losing the reader. I realized some common misconceptions in homebrewing from reading that book and that knowing your malt analysis can significantly improve your beer. And it's not just for lagers anymore.

Never heard of that one. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks.

Back