Any homebrewers in the Kaiserslautern/Ramstein, Germany area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chriswilkes33 said:
Living in Wörrstadt is probably too far for you Ramstein/k-town guys to make the trip up to drink but I plan on starting Picnic table Fridays to empty my kegs as soon as the pipeline gets going. I brewed Monday and have 10 gallons of falconers flight IPA going. Still need to work out a kegerator and co2 pretty quick but will brew again as soon as the fermenator is empty. I'll start posting brew days so you guys can hang out, brew, or drink

Is that the town right off the 63 a little north of Alzey? I live right outside Nieder-Olm.

Dirty25 said:
Everyone join the group Ramstein fermenters on Facebook lets orginize some brew days or talk about beer or sell equipment...pretty much help each other out in the hobby of brewing

Can you post a link to the group? I can't find it.

chriswilkes33 said:
That's the one. Well have to get together on a brew day soon.

Yea we will. Just did a Belgian Quad and had fresh roasted lamb leg and roasted potatoes with tzatziki.

So has anyone actually had success changing the nut on your American regulator to fit a European CO2 bottle? I need to get gas squared away, I got beer ready to keg :) the folks in the gas shop here (allgas) say we have to buy a new regulator too. I'll bite the bullet and buy a new gas bottle but would like to avoid a new regulator too if I can.

chriswilkes33 said:
So has anyone actually had success changing the nut on your American regulator to fit a European CO2 bottle? I need to get gas squared away, I got beer ready to keg :) the folks in the gas shop here (allgas) say we have to buy a new regulator too. I'll bite the bullet and buy a new gas bottle but would like to avoid a new regulator too if I can.

I take my bottle to Baumholder and the fire department on base fills it for free. They have the adapters to fill American bottles. I know it's a little bit of a drive, but once every 3-4 months isn't too bad.

PJoyce85 said:
I take my bottle to Baumholder and the fire department on base fills it for free. They have the adapters to fill American bottles. I know it's a little bit of a drive, but once every 3-4 months isn't too bad.

Ahh, I'll have to swing by the FD at wiesbaden and try, or have you tried there already?

chriswilkes33 said:
Ahh, I'll have to swing by the FD at wiesbaden and try, or have you tried there already?

No, I haven't. Let me know what you find out. I work in Ramstein so I can just run it down there when I need to.

The wiesbaden FD is no good. They apparently only fill chemicals there. The linde gas place in kostheim will rent bottles for .30 cents a day and a fill is 67 euro...that's for a 10kg bottle. Madness. I'm starting to think ill just bottle beers again for the next couple years. Such a pain in the ass here for something that is so easy in the states.

I'm not sure on the price to fill a 3kg bottle (thats what i have), but i paid 160.00 Euro for the bottle (filled) and a new regulator. I'm headed off to Italy next so i figured it would be worth the cost since I'll be in Europe until late 2017. In Kaiserslautern there is a bar supply company called Walter Busch & Söhne. They have a website, but its useless. I went down there and they ordered one for me. As for refilling the bottle, I know you can fill it at Drumm. Its a welding supply shop in K-town, and they will fill small CO2 bottles. The bottles have to be EU bottles as they cant fill the USA ones.

On a side note, I'll be headed to the US next week and I plan on bringing back a bunch of hops and yeast. On my way back from Frankfurt I'm going to try and stop and pick up some grains from the Best Malz in Wallertheim. I Plan on brewing next weekend (16th or 17th) if anyone in the area is interested.

socalboarder said:
I'm not sure on the price to fill a 3kg bottle (thats what i have), but i paid 160.00 Euro for the bottle (filled) and a new regulator. I'm headed off to Italy next so i figured it would be worth the cost since I'll be in Europe until late 2017. In Kaiserslautern there is a bar supply company called Walter Busch & Söhne. They have a website, but its useless. I went down there and they ordered one for me. As for refilling the bottle, I know you can fill it at Drumm. Its a welding supply shop in K-town, and they will fill small CO2 bottles. The bottles have to be EU bottles as they cant fill the USA ones.

On a side note, I'll be headed to the US next week and I plan on bringing back a bunch of hops and yeast. On my way back from Frankfurt I'm going to try and stop and pick up some grains from the Best Malz in Wallertheim. I Plan on brewing next weekend (16th or 17th) if anyone in the area is interested.

For the grains, make sure you call the Heidelberg office ahead so they can prepare an invoice and schedule your pick up in Wallertheim. They were really helpful there though.

The local brewery here is gonna help with the gas I think, they are basically going to float me a free 10kg bottle (with a pfand) and just have me pay for the gas, 35 euro a fill. I brought my regulator over there and it seems like it will work with a different nut, in going to try and fin a place that sells the nuts tomorrow and finish it all, seems like that is the best answer. I was having a bad (American stuck in Germany trying to get stuff done) day yesterday and needed to vent a little. Not sure why I never thought to turn to a local small pro brewer for help...

chriswilkes33 said:
For the grains, make sure you call the Heidelberg office ahead so they can prepare an invoice and schedule your pick up in Wallertheim. They were really helpful there though.

The local brewery here is gonna help with the gas I think, they are basically going to float me a free 10kg bottle (with a pfand) and just have me pay for the gas, 35 euro a fill. I brought my regulator over there and it seems like it will work with a different nut, in going to try and fin a place that sells the nuts tomorrow and finish it all, seems like that is the best answer. I was having a bad (American stuck in Germany trying to get stuff done) day yesterday and needed to vent a little. Not sure why I never thought to turn to a local small pro brewer for help...

Also, I don't mind making pickups for you guys if its hard for you to get to Wallertheim during the weeks. You can work out the invoice, I'll go pick it up and float the cash/store the grain until you can get up here to get it, or I head that way... Open offer for any of y'all.

chriswilkes33 said:
Also, I don't mind making pickups for you guys if its hard for you to get to Wallertheim during the weeks. You can work out the invoice, I'll go pick it up and float the cash/store the grain until you can get up here to get it, or I head that way... Open offer for any of y'all.

If you ever pick up some of their RedX, I will gladly buy some off you!

Anyone know a place near Kaiserslautern when I can get supplies. Or a website with not so crazy shipping to APO. Any help would be great

clinesmith said:
Anyone know a place near Kaiserslautern when I can get supplies. Or a website with not so crazy shipping to APO. Any help would be great

Check out keg connection. I have my whole kegging set up from them. $7.99 flat rate shipping.

still in the trying to find(and be able to afford) new equipment. was curious what kinda prices people have been paying at best malz, and is there a minimum order when you pick it up yourself?

Best malz is about 24 dollars a sack, there is a minimum buy and I dont remember exactly what it is but Im thinking 4. If you only want a sack or 2, maybe post here or to the facebook group (Ramstein fermenters) and someone else will combine orders to get to the minimum.

I've been brewing a bit since getting to Germany. Anyone ever have any get togethers. I'm still learning and would love to connect with people who have more experience.

I've been brewing a bit since getting to Germany. Anyone ever have any get togethers. I'm still learning and would love to connect with people who have more experience.

where are you? Are you anywhere near Ramstein? if so there is a group that I just started meeting with pretty well mixed group as far as how advanced some are and how new to brewing like myself others are. look up the group on FB its called D.R.A.F.T. (Deutsch-American Ramstein Area Fermenting Technologists)

where are you? Are you anywhere near Ramstein? if so there is a group that I just started meeting with pretty well mixed group as far as how advanced some are and how new to brewing like myself others are. look up the group on FB its called D.R.A.F.T. (Deutsch-American Ramstein Area Fermenting Technologists)
I'm at vogelweh down the road. I'll definitely look it up

Sweet just got here 6 months ago stationed on Ramstein when is your next meeting I really want to attended

It will be some time in January. Looking to be down in y'alls neck of the woods. Check the facebook group for more info. I think there is a google doodle in there looking for votes of when we should have it.

It will be some time in January. Looking to be down in y'alls neck of the woods. Check the facebook group for more info. I think there is a google doodle in there looking for votes of when we should have it.

Wow the group is getting bigger every week it seems. Hell by the time I get back from Virginia we're gonna have to rent out venues to host our meetings.

How's it going everyone. My names Israel and currently stationed at Spangdahlem but I'll be PCS'ng to Ramstein at the end of this week. I've brewed a few times with my bro-in-law and enjoyed it. Would like to meet fellow brewers and start brewing myself. I was more of a helper with my bro-in-law. Where's good place to start while being stationed in Germany. Should I buy kits here or from the states? Is it easier to bottle and fridge or make/buy a kegerator?

- Israel

Hey Israel.

Check out the D.R.A.F.T. Facebook group. That is where we share most of our information and you'll probably get quicker responses, as well as information about upcoming meetings/goings ons.

Hope to see you at a future meeting

Sent from my iPhone using Home

Hey Israel.

Check out the D.R.A.F.T. Facebook group. That is where we share most of our information and you'll probably get quicker responses, as well as information about upcoming meetings/goings ons.

Hope to see you at a future meeting

Sent from my iPhone using Home

Thanks Man. Just asked to be a member of the group.

Hi all, I'm not on facebook but I'll contribute to the supplies discussion

apexbrewwares.com - Flat rate shipping. You can place your order by grain bill so even if you only want a few ounces of something, Jeremy will hook it up.

homebrew4less.com - He is in Pa so shipping isn't bad. I even ordered a Top Tier to my APO box from here.

Labelpeelers.com - Good selection & reasonable shipping

Brouwland.com - not the cheapest but I sometimes order yeast from here since the package usually arrives 24 hrs after it is shipped.

For the Co2 tanks and regulators, you can order them on Amazon. The tank actually comes full.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001KYRHCO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, the Italians have some stainless fermenters that are cheaper than anything stainless I have seen in the states. I placed an order for a couple of these last week but they have not arrived yet:
http://www.pinta.it/prodotti/243/1_fermentatore_inox_35_lt_.html

Last edited by a moderator:
How much was the shipping on that top tier?

Hi all, I'm not on facebook but I'll contribute to the supplies discussion

apexbrewwares.com - Flat rate shipping. You can place your order by grain bill so even if you only want a few ounces of something, Jeremy will hook it up.

homebrew4less.com - He is in Pa so shipping isn't bad. I even ordered a Top Tier to my APO box from here.

Labelpeelers.com - Good selection & reasonable shipping

Brouwland.com - not the cheapest but I sometimes order yeast from here since the package usually arrives 24 hrs after it is shipped.

For the Co2 tanks and regulators, you can order them on Amazon. The tank actually comes full.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001KYRHCO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, the Italians have some stainless fermenters that are cheaper than anything stainless I have seen in the states. I placed an order for a couple of these last week but they have not arrived yet:
http://www.pinta.it/prodotti/243/1_fermentatore_inox_35_lt_.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I can bring you stuff. Or send it to you for free. Depends on what you need and when. I was just there 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's great to see so many brewers in the area. I was there last summer passing through and will be PCS to K-Town in December. I am an all grain brewer and will be bringing all of my gear. I am just getting into 10 gallon batches and cannot wait to get back to Germany! Sounds like I need to bring a couple of bags of pilsner and 2row.

It's great to see so many brewers in the area. I was there last summer passing through and will be PCS to K-Town in December. I am an all grain brewer and will be bringing all of my gear. I am just getting into 10 gallon batches and cannot wait to get back to Germany! Sounds like I need to bring a couple of bags of pilsner and 2row.

Pilsner and 2-row are easy to come by in Germany. If you like Marris Otter, it is a little harder to find (more expensive) but also not really hard.

I will be hitting ground in June/July 2015 timeframe! I cannot wait! I love the area and look forward to brewing when I get there. I am setup to brew up to 10 gallons all grain and just bought a speidel 60l to ferment in. The information on getting the CO2 and accessories from Amazon.de was brilliant!
I will be stationed at Panzer (K-town) not Stuttgart, though its a great place too!
cheers,

Jeremy

Latest posts

Back